We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

System Ace....

System Ace....

I'm brain storming a design problem here.

Once upon a time, there was a System Ace, that took a CF card, and streamed out a file to configure a FPGA.

Well Ive inherited a set of board designs, that basicaly have prog / and init controlled via a expander port, and configuration data and clock streamed from some processor cards !

effectively, I just need to stream in data with a clock when told to !

I seem to remember some designs that had CPLDs or picoblaze that hooked up to a flash, and did just that

any one got any pointers, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

The best answer i have so far is a small processor and flash, 

just then got to get data in the right format into the flash, 

but if a working design is around, thats better for me..

Re: System Ace....

If you look at recent development boards, the older System ACE is replaced by a small Zynq part.  With the newly introduced single core 7010S, that makes it the natural universal replacement.  Boot from SD card into Linux, and execute a script to download files through programmable IOs to the various devices would be my suggestion.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

Re: System Ace....

My only usage of a Zynq has been with linux, 

but the zynq system is not small nore cheap.

Needs an external clock and ddr memory and a fair development time,

sounds a bit of an over kill to do the job done by a Pico blaze in the ACE. 

Not saying programming the PicoBlaze would be that much quicker, 

but zynq and ddr and linux still sounds a bit much to crack the configuration nut.

Any other ideas ?