UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

System Ace....

Highlighted
Scholar

System Ace....

I'm brain storming a design problem here.

Once upon a time, there was a System Ace, that took a CF card, and streamed out a file to configure a FPGA.

Well Ive inherited a set of board designs, that basicaly have prog / and init controlled via a expander port, and configuration data and clock streamed from some processor cards !

effectively, I just need to stream in data with a clock when told to !

I seem to remember some designs that had CPLDs or picoblaze that hooked up to a flash, and did just that

any one got any pointers, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

The best answer i have so far is a small processor and flash, 

just then got to get data in the right format into the flash, 

but if a working design is around, thats better for me..

Re: System Ace....

dr,

If you look at recent development boards, the older System ACE is replaced by a small Zynq part.  With the newly introduced single core 7010S, that makes it the natural universal replacement.  Boot from SD card into Linux, and execute a script to download files through programmable IOs to the various devices would be my suggestion.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Scholar

Re: System Ace....

My only usage of a Zynq has been with linux, 

but the zynq system is not small nore cheap.

Needs an external clock and ddr memory and a fair development time,

sounds a bit of an over kill to do the job done by a Pico blaze in the ACE. 

Not saying programming the PicoBlaze would be that much quicker, 

but zynq and ddr and linux still sounds a bit much to crack the configuration nut.

Any other ideas ?