UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor wongmatthew
Visitor

Using legacy code with Vivado

We have a board which uses the xc7k325. The .bit file we have is meant for a xq7k325. Previously, we programmed this FPGA with Impact 14.7 without problems. When programming with Impact 14.7, it notifies the user of the difference but still successfully programs the FPGA. However, Vivado gives us the "Unsupported part xq7k325tr900" message when trying to program. Why can Impact 14.7 program the FPGA but not Vivado? How can we get Vivado to successfully program the FPGA despite the apparent incompatibility?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Using legacy code with Vivado

just check which version of vivado your using and is that part supported in it,

Also I think, the lab tools version of vivado 'can' program anything,
but it could be that the vivado programmer is being clever and recognising the part ID,
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @wongmatthew 

It's not recommended to use same bitstream file for different grade (for example: commercial and Industrial grade) FPGA device even though it is working for you. As this can cause timing issues on hardware.

You should regenerate bitstream for your design according to your device.

This https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/24245.html and https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54561.html answer records might provide you some idea about timing variation between different grade of FPGA.

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

@wongmatthew 

However, Vivado gives us the "Unsupported part xq7k325tr900" message when trying to program. Why can Impact 14.7 program the FPGA but not Vivado? How can we get Vivado to successfully program the FPGA despite the apparent incompatibility?

In which category does this part xq7k325tr900 fall into? I mean Xilinx 6 series, 7 series, etc?

To me it looks like a "less than 7 series FPGA" since it could be successfully programmed using ISE14.7/Impact.

Now Vivado is meant to be used for Xilinx 7 series FPGAs and higher-class FPGA families. This might be the reason why Vivado refuses to recognize the part xq7k325tr900.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Which version you are using for Vivado? Is this a ISE generated bitstream? If so can you try to use the below paramter and see if it programs successfully. There was some issue with the ISE generated XQ device bitstream and it was fixed in 2018.3 release. Either use 2018.3/2019.1 or use the below parameter before assigning the bitstream.

> set_param xicom.use_bitstream_version_check false

Again it is not recommended to program the different device bitstream to different device for which bitstream was generated.

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor wongmatthew
Visitor

I'm using Vivado  2018.3. Unfortunately, I didn't generate the bit file because the code was written years ago by a different company. The source code also is not available. I just have to work with what I have. The parameter change might work.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Since its a non-SSI ( multi-SLR) device, you can try to see if bin file works. I am assuming its an issue with header which have XQ in there & Vivado is comparing it with XC device. Else you can use the above parameter, Hopefully it should work.

-harshit
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos