UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

What happens to non-utilized LUTs after programming ?

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

May I know what actually happens to the LUTs and registers that I am not utilizing in my program, after burning the FPGA with the bitstream? I am more interested in 7-series and + FPGAs. Since the bitstreams are always of same/similar size for that particular chip, I think Xilinx writes something to those un-utilized registers and LUTs while programming. I assume remaining SRAMs are initialized to reset condition (0) ? May I know that , if that is not a trade secret.

Goutham

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: What happens to non-utilized LUTs after programming ?

Jump to solution

G,

The memory is designed to power on INTO the '0' state.

The startup programs every configuration memory cell from the bitstream, used, or unused, every bit is represented by a value appropriate to its use, or if unused, again '0'.

So, unused configurations starts at '0' and is re-written as '0' by the bitstream.

Why so interested, if I may ask?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey Goutham,

Your assumption is correct, the majority primitives (LUTs, FFs, MUXes, etc) are initialized to a default (0) value which can be easily seen in the bitstream which contains large amounts of zeros when you only utilize a few of those resources. It is probably similar for the routing resources and I/O pins, although the default state there might not always be zero. I don't think it is a trade secret, but let's see what Xilinx has to say about it ...

Best,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

G,

The memory is designed to power on INTO the '0' state.

The startup programs every configuration memory cell from the bitstream, used, or unused, every bit is represented by a value appropriate to its use, or if unused, again '0'.

So, unused configurations starts at '0' and is re-written as '0' by the bitstream.

Why so interested, if I may ask?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @austin and @hpoetzl 

Thanks for confirming my assumption. I am doing a research on low-level custom routing in FPGA and thats when this question popped up. Thanks for your time.

Goutham

0 Kudos