UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Xilinx Platform Cable USB II vs HS3 Digilent

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I am wondering which JTAG to buy, Xilinx Patform Cable USB II or HS3 Digilent ? Although this topic has been discussed earlier on this forum but there are mixed reviews. Some suggest Xilinx Patform Cable USB II while other suggest HS3.

There is one review from 2016 which suggest to buy HS2 instead of HS3. I don't understand this completely. I guess HS3 is upgraded version of HS2 and if the price is same then why not HS3 but another review says that HS2 cable does not support the SRST signal which may be required when debugging over JTAG. Do we have SRST in HS3 ? 

Technically what are differences between Xilinx Patform Cable USB II or HS3 Digilent ? Is there any feature missing in terms of Programming and Debugging in HS3 Digilent compared with Xilinx Patform Cable USB II ? 

The requirement is to Program ZYNQ 7Z20 MicroZed Board and Debugging.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Xilinx Platform Cable USB II vs HS3 Digilent

Jump to solution

Hi @joniengr081,

Main difference the Speed, cost and Size. HS3 Digilent cable is better. 

In Smart Lynq cable you can go upto 40MHz. whereas in HS3 digilent you will get max 30MHz.

PS_SRST Supported in HS3 Digilent. For more information refer page 5 of this link https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/jtag_hs3:jtag-hs3_rm.pdf

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please reply or Give Kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @joniengr081

Have you gone through the below link? If not, check if it helps you as there are some key pointers given by our Xilinx super users:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/Platform-Cable-USB-II-vs-Digilent/td-p/783329

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @joniengr081,

Main difference the Speed, cost and Size. HS3 Digilent cable is better. 

In Smart Lynq cable you can go upto 40MHz. whereas in HS3 digilent you will get max 30MHz.

PS_SRST Supported in HS3 Digilent. For more information refer page 5 of this link https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/jtag_hs3:jtag-hs3_rm.pdf

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please reply or Give Kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi @joniengr081,

I've been using Digilent cable for pretty much entire feature set Vivado supports: programming bitstreams, debug using ILA probes, Ibert, and embedded software. I haven't seen any feature that is not supported by Digilent. It is much faster than Xilinx JTAG, has smaller form factor, and also much cheaper.

One disadvantage worth pointing out is that Digilent has straight JTAG connector. I needed right angle connector for some of the boards, so I managed to rework Digilent. 

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (2)