UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

is HWICAP meant for triggering a reconfig from flash?

I have a system that receives a configuration file and writes it into the flash. After that, all is needed is a reset or power cycle, so it will load the 'upgrade' and keep the 'golden' just in case it fails.

I thought about using the HWICAP IP, but it looks to me is more appropriate for partial reconfiguration and reconfiguration without writing the flash, am I right?

So in short, do I need the HWICAP or is there a shorter way to trigger a reset from a microblaze?

I know, I always have the power cycle solution, just would like to know if it's possible to save the user such exhausting operation.

Another solution could be tying some microblaze GPIO pin to the reset pin, but this is not possible with the current hardware.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: is HWICAP meant for triggering a reconfig from flash?

You can use the ICAP to update the WBSTAR address location of the new bistream and then follow by issuing an IPROG command to force the FPGA to reconfigure. See the following Forums post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Exchange-mcs-file-while-running-fpga/m-p/881490#M9527

I hope this helps. 

Explorer
Explorer

Re: is HWICAP meant for triggering a reconfig from flash?

Thanks @miker I may not need to update the WBSTAR (although is good to be able to), but the possibility of issuing an IPROG could be exactly what I wanted. 

0 Kudos