UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

FFT v9.0 stalling S_AXIS seems to stop the core

I am designing a filter core that uses Xilinx FFT v9.0 IP. When configuring the core using the GUI, I spec the Target Clock Freq and Target data throughput identically at 400MHz. Looking at the implementation details tab, the gui automatcially selected "pipelined, Streaming I/O"

When I simulate it w/ QuestaSim, everything seems to work fine, until I start tinkering with the input side Slave Axi-Stream interface. I changed my testbed to only feed samples once every 4 clocks, which causes the S_AXIS_TVALID to  pulse every 4 clocks, and the TDATA signal to change every 4 clocks. Things still seem right while the data is being input, but if I stall the input; so in my testbed, after X frames with of samples, I stop feeding data.

This causes the S_AXIS_TVALID to go low and stay low, forever. When I do this, the output side stops as well; which is to say that M_AXIS_TVALID goes low like 3 clocks later and stays low, despite there being at least 2 frames worth of data already loaded into the core, and despite being in the middle of outputting a frame of data; so the last state of M_AXIS is: TVALID = Low, TREADY = High, TUSER(7 downto 0)= k = 150, TDATA(15 downto 0) = Xk. None of the event signals indicate anything amiss.

It's almost like the S_AXIS_TVALID signal is internally connected to a clock enable pin. Is this the expected behavior? 

0 Kudos
14 Replies

回复: FFT v9.0 stalling S_AXIS seems to stop the core

In pipline mode, if you have loaded one frame data, then the IP core should processing and output this frame data. But you need to make sure the whole frame data is sent to the core. Also make sure the m_axis_data_tready is asserted to get the IP output data.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

回复: FFT v9.0 stalling S_AXIS seems to stop the core

Agreed, but I don't think that is what I'm seeing in simulation. It's possible that there are steps I need to take, I've changed my FFT core's configuration in the GUI several times, but as far as I can tell, all those values are passed to the actual core in the vivado generated xfft_0.vhd, which instantiates the xfft_v9_1_0 core. 

I could isolate the FFT into a testbed to be certain of what I'm seeing, and when/if I get the time, that's the next thing I'm going to do. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: FFT v9.0 stalling S_AXIS seems to stop the core

First, your question is not about FFT v9.0 but about AXI4 Stream communication.

I would suggest you get the AMBA AXI4-Stream Protocol from ARM and refer to chapter 2.2.1 (Handshake protocol)

I feel your problem is you don't check TREADY. You need to. Once you pull TVALID high, you need to wait for the slave to pull TREADY low. Data is fetch into the slave when both TVALID and TREADY are high, and that can span more than one cycle.

You don't need to guess or wonder what;s inside an AXI-Stream slave, just communicate with the correct grammar.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I have spent a good deal of time looking at the axis interface. I've written what i believe to be axis compliant interfaces for several IPs that talk to the FFT core, as well as others that talk to AXI-DMA cores.

Also, my problem is on the output side of things. 

In general, on the input side, S_AXIS_TREADY goes high; I then put data on TDATA and raise TVALID and on every subsequent clock period if TREADY is High, I drive data. Like Figure 2.2 in the AXIS spec. I'm not holding off until TREADY goes high, because that would violate the spec, but as implemented in this design, the FFT core  asserts S_AXIS_TREADY high before I'm able to provide data.

On the output side; I drive M_AXIS_TREADY High, as I indicated in my original post.

M_AXIS_TVALID, which is driven by the FFT core drops low and stays low.

I'm not asking about the AXI-Stream interface protocol. What i'm seeing is the output data channel of the FFT stops mid-frame, when I stop the input data channel. For debug purposes I currently have M_AXIS_TREADY held high. I feed data to the FFT when the S_AXIS_TREADY is high. I've been through the work of ensuring that all the event signals are right. No unexpected_tlast, no missing_tlast. event_frame_started every N input samples. I have tested various sort of interface scenarios, whether it's the upstream running slower (controlled by tvalid), whether it's the downstream backing data up from the output (via tready), and combinations of both.

What an unhelpful comment. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Ok, sorry for not having understood well your problem. So what happens to you is you expect the FFT to output data while not feeding input data in pipeline mode. Of course not. Pipeline means no data buffer. Data in = data out. Irrespective of clock. Data out without data in would imply something was buffered. That's not how the pipeline mode works. Not explicitly stated in the datasheet, but I think this says it implicitly (page41):

The core has the ability to simultaneously perform transform calculations on the current frame of data, 
load input data for the next frame of data, and unload the results of the previous frame of data

Here, "simultaneously" means to me if it can't load data it won't calculate and unload anything. Not quite an ability, I'd say.

If you change to any Radix Burst mode, this is how it says it works:

It loads and/or unloads data separately from calculating the transform

And:

The data loading and unloading processes can be overlapped if the data is unloaded in digit reversed order

I understand from the above you can unload without loading as these processes can, but do not need to, overlap. In pipeline mode, they must overlap.

Hope this is more helpful and insightful.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Ok, that all makes sense as a possible implementation. But is that the implementation? If so, how do you get the data out at the end? Suppose need to run at 1 sample/clock for 64 frames. The right answer cannot be that I have to feed it 3 frames worth of garbage data on the input, to get my last frame out.

Pipelining in my experience doesn't imply that you can't flush data out. Also, in the text from the PG109:

The core has the ability to simultaneously perform transform calculations on the current frame of data,
load input data for the next frame of data, and unload the results of the previous frame of data. You can continuously stream in data and, after the calculation latency, can continuously unload the results. If
preferred, this design can also calculate one frame by itself or frames with gaps in between.

For emphasis:

If preferred, this design can also calculate one frame by itself or frames with gaps in between.

Which makes the most sense of all, because with an otherwise unconstrained, but fully compliant AXI-S interface, that's what you'd need to support.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Is not your case Pipelined Streaming I/O with Cyclic Prefix Insertion, where you need some extra input data?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

No, no cyclic prefix. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

You mention you clock your TVALID once while keeping your data for 4 cycles. This will feed incorrect data in Real Time mode. Check you are not in that mode and watching TREADY (if the FFT pulls it low, it won't read data even if your TVALID is high)

Untitled picture.png

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not using real time mode. It's too much of a hassle to have to obey the S_AXIS_TREADY but violate the AXI-S interface in every other situation. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Are you interfacing the FFT with a standard or custom IP?

Even if not in Real time mode, you still have to watch for TREADY, you can't send data if the FFT is busy with something else.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I'm interfacing to it with a custom IP, and I'm watching S_AXIS_TREADY in every circumstance.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

"The right answer cannot be that I have to feed it 3 frames worth of garbage data on the input, to get my last frame out"

Let's look at it from a different point. To get the data out you need to clock it. You don't put anything special in the data port. Call it garbage, default value, all-zeros or 'don't care'. You get your previous result. When you feed your next frame, you will get the transform of your 'garbage' but because of the latency, your next frame's transform is going to come out when the following frame is sent.

I'm still thinking the mode you want is the burst, not the pipelined. I've used FFT a number of times, always with DMA, never doing such funny things, why would you send data once every four clocks? Couldn't you FIFO it with a separate clock?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

" why would you send data once every four clocks?"

If the FFT IP doesn't support this, it's not AXI-S compliant.

Per the user guide:

Figure 3-40 shows the loading of the sample data for an 8 point FFT.
The upstream master drives TVALID and the core drives TREADY.
In this case, both the master and the core insert waitstates.

So, master waitstates are supported. The user guide also says":

The previous description only applies when the core is configured to use Non-Realtime
mode. The situation is different in Realtime mode, which is used to create a smaller and
faster design at the expense of flexibility in loading and unloading data. When the core is
configured to use Realtime mode, the following occurs:
1. The TREADY signal on the Data Output channel (m_axis_data_tready) is removed
2. The TREADY signal on the Status channel (m_axis_status_tready) is removed
3. The TVALID signal on the Data Input channel is ignored when the loading of a frame has
begun

That TVALID is ignored in real time mode, which implies that in non real time mode it's not ignored. And if it's not ignored, then it "MUST" support running at 4, 8 or whatever number clocks between TVALID ="1" pulses.

0 Kudos