UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor prateekj212
Visitor

Fixed Point signed multiplier and adder tree

Hi,

I am trying to implement a parameterised signed signed point multiplier in Verilog for a FPGA acceleration of a Convolutional Neural Network. My inputs to the multiplier will be fixed point numbers in the Q8.9 (8 bits integer, 9 bits fractional part,1 bit sign),lets say. I want to write code such that 25 such multipliers are working in parallel to produce 25 product terms which will then be added in a adder tree. Now, I know that multiplication of two 18 bit numbers will produce a 36 bit result. The problem I am facing is regarding handling the overflow after multiplication and rounding the result to again 18 bits, which feeds to the adder tree. 

After doing some research on Fixed point multiplication, I have figured out that I would get a Q16.18 result of which I can part select the middle part for my result. But I would be losing precision in the lower fractional bits. Now as for the rounding of the integer part, I want to detect the overflow from the inferred DSP block. Is this possible? If yes, how? Here is what i have tried so far. I am fairly new to verilog so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I can provide further clarifications if my questions lacks clarity. 

(* use_dsp = "yes" *) module pe_mult(clk,reset,in_a,in_b,out);

parameter data_size=18;
 input wire reset,clk;
 input [data_size-1:0] in_a,in_b;
 output [2*data_size-1:0] out;

(* dont_touch = "true" *) reg [data_size-1:0] in_a_reg,in_b_reg;
 (* dont_touch = "true" *) reg [2*data_size-1:0] out_reg;

always @(posedge clk)begin
    if(reset) begin
      //out=0;
      in_a_reg <=0;
      in_b_reg <=0;
      out_reg <= 0;
    end
    else begin
        in_a_reg <= in_a;
        in_b_reg <= in_b;  
        out_reg <= in_a_reg * in_b_reg;

out_reg <= out_reg << 1'b1;   

end
 end

assign out = {out_reg[35],out_reg[25:9]};

endmodule

Regards

Student

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Fixed Point signed multiplier and adder tree

I'm not sure why you think you can pick the middle bits.  If your inputs to the multiplier are close to full scale, you will need all of the integer bits out of the multiplier to represent the output. 

If you want to detect overflow, check the sign bit of the part of the output that you want to keep.  It should be the same as all of the more significant bits that you want to drop.  In most instances, if I detect an overflow, I clip to positive or negative maximum based on the most significant bit out of the multiplier or adder.

0 Kudos
Visitor prateekj212
Visitor

Re: Fixed Point signed multiplier and adder tree

@bruce_karaffa wrote:

I'm not sure why you think you can pick the middle bits.  If your inputs to the multiplier are close to full scale, you will need all of the integer bits out of the multiplier to represent the output. 

If you want to detect overflow, check the sign bit of the part of the output that you want to keep.  It should be the same as all of the more significant bits that you want to drop.  In most instances, if I detect an overflow, I clip to positive or negative maximum based on the most significant bit out of the multiplier or adder.

I am not sure I follow. Could you elaborate with a verilog code?

Thank you

0 Kudos