UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor tianhufei
Visitor

Problem with FIR filter using interpolation

I have a 3.84M sample rate signal which I am to interpolate to 61.44M sample rate. I first generated a low-pass filter coefficients then I loaded into the FIR IP. And I changed filter type to interpolation and the rate change by 16.  3.84x16 = 61.44.  Currently I am using a sine wave just to do initial verification.

The sine wave has a frequency of around 60k at sample rate 3.84M. The sine wave is the input of my FIR filter and the output would have been a 60k sine wave at sample rate 61.44M. 

However, my result was a signal that has the outline of a 60k sine wave.  But it is comb like, if you look into it you would see a lot of impulses. The wave is continuous, consisting of a lot of impulses. The magnitude of all these impulses made up of a 60k sine wave, like the following:

instead of the explected:

1 1

1   1

1     1     1

1   1     

1 1

It seemes that the high frequency parts of the interpolated save have not been filtered out. What should I do?  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer brucekaraffa
Observer

Re: Problem with FIR filter using interpolation

You may have a filter design problem.  Design your filter at the higher (interpolated) clock rate.  Make sure that Fs/2 of your original rate is well into the stop band of the filter, say at least 30dB down.  A good book on multi-rate signal processing will explain why you want to do this and will help you optimize the filter.  Interpolation causes images of the original signal and the filter needs to be designed to remove them.

0 Kudos