UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor odiaz
Visitor

System generator - cannot edit block properties

Jump to solution

Hi

I'm using System generator  11.4.2254 (output from xlVersion) with Matlab R2009b under Debian squeeze 64 bits.

When I try to do a simple design I cannot edit any xilinx block, except "System Generator". When I double-click any of these blocks, it gets busy for a while and then display this error message in a pop-up window:

Error due to multiple causes --> Error using ==> xlSocketServer.xlSocketServer at 97 System Generator was unable to connect to the XBlockGUI client. Please retry. --> Error evaluating 'OpenFcn' callback of Xilinx Gateway In Block block (mask) 'untitled/Gateway In'. Error using ==> xlSocketServer.xlSocketServer at 97 System Generator was unable to connect to the XBlockGUI client. Please retry.

Also this message appeared in matlab console:

Warning: The System Generator GUI socket server timedout while waiting for an incoming socket connection. To tune the acceptTimeout value in the xlServerSocketOptions.m file. The xlServerSocketOptions.m file is on your MATLAB path and can be edited by typing 'edit xlServerSocketOptions.m' in the MATLAB console. Warning: The following error was caught while executing 'xlSocketServer' class destructor: Java exception occurred: java.lang.NullPointerException at com.xilinx.sysgen.socketinterface.RawSocketLayer.close(Unknown Source) > In /usr/local/Xilinx/Full_11.1/DSP_Tools/lin64/sysgen/bin/xlXBlockGUIClass.p>xlXBlockGUIClass.xlXBlockGUIClass at 40 In /usr/local/Xilinx/Full_11.1/DSP_Tools/lin64/sysgen/bin/xlOpenGui.p>xlOpenGui at 114

I suspect the java version that I use could be the problem behind this. I have installed the package sun-java6-bin, that correspond with Sun Java JRE6.

Also I check this thread

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=DSPTOOL&message.id=2076&query.id=476512#M2076

With no luck in this case.

Thanks a lot.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor odiaz
Visitor

Re: System generator - cannot edit block properties

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, I solved the problem but I forgot to reply the message.

The problem was in the Java distribution: System generator works fine with OpenJDK instead of the official Sun packages.

Either you remove the packages sun-java6-* and ia32-sun-java6-* (if you use a 64 bit installation), or change the Java runtime with the alternatives system using the command "update-java-alternatives":

# update-java-alternatives --jre -s java-6-openjdk

More info about Java in Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/Java

And about the alternatives system: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives

Note: I tested this in Debian Squeeze (the testing branch). I guess this also work with Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions, but i'm not 100% sure. For other distributions, you should see how to install and use OpenJDK.

Bye

3 Replies
Visitor westocl
Visitor

Jump to solution

Did anyone ever find an answer on this? I am having the same problem.

I also receive the following warning.

Warning: The System Generator GUI socket server timedout while waiting for an incoming socket connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor odiaz
Visitor

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, I solved the problem but I forgot to reply the message.

The problem was in the Java distribution: System generator works fine with OpenJDK instead of the official Sun packages.

Either you remove the packages sun-java6-* and ia32-sun-java6-* (if you use a 64 bit installation), or change the Java runtime with the alternatives system using the command "update-java-alternatives":

# update-java-alternatives --jre -s java-6-openjdk

More info about Java in Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/Java

And about the alternatives system: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives

Note: I tested this in Debian Squeeze (the testing branch). I guess this also work with Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions, but i'm not 100% sure. For other distributions, you should see how to install and use OpenJDK.

Bye

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

i am too facing the same issue,please help me in solving the issue.

i am using xilinx 12.2 ISE with matlab sysgen from matlab 2010a(32 bit edition).

my system is i3,64bit processing machine with windows 7 professional OS.

i don't know how to update the java.

i need the steps to do the update the java run time.

regards,

Rajesh

0 Kudos