UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer easmith5
Observer

Installing DNNDK on Custom OS

Is it possible to install DNNDK using a custom OS image on the ZCU102, rather than the one downloaded from the boards website? It seems like it should be possible as my custom OS is aarch64, however when fiddling with the install.sh file, I get an error when trying to insert the dpu.ko kernel module. It also complains about a board type mismatch, but the board is the ZCU102, the OS is of course different. I used yocto and openembedded, as well as custom recipes on top of that for the OS. 

Exact error is below, is there any way to fiddle with the kernel modules/install file to install the DNNDK on a custom OS for the ZCU102?

root@zcu102:~/ZCU102# sh install.sh
Begin to install DeePhi DNNDK ...
Board type mismatch.
Install DeePhi DPU Driver ...
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'dpu': Exec format error
Installation failed!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Installing DNNDK on Custom OS

Hi

Check whether your hostname  is zcu102 using uname -n

Figure out kernel version of dpu.ko using  modinfo dpu.ko like this

$ modinfo dpu.ko 
filename:       /media/hokim/data/DNNDK/pkgs/driver/dpu.ko
author:         DEEPHI
license:        GPL
depends:        
name:           dpu
vermagic:       4.14.0-xilinx-v2018.2 SMP mod_unload aarch64
parm:           signature_addr:ulong
parm:           extension:ulong
parm:           cache:int
parm:           timeout:int
parm:           mode:charp
parm:           profiler:int
parm:           debuglevel:uint
parm:           version:charp
parm:           coremask:uint
parm:           accipmask:uint

Your kernel version should be the same as that of dpu.ko

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

Hi - 

I would like to use DNNDK on a custom OS, so as such I believe I will need to recompile the dpu module with my kernel, is the source code available somewhere to do this? Or can I do it from within the SDSoc? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

We have plan to provide DPU driver source code to customers for system integration with DPU.

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

That's great! Do you know what the timescale for that is? 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Dear @aluo please let us know one's source code is available publicly, or there is any other way to get the same kernel verion 4.14.0+ I am getting below mentioned error:-

@hokim please can you share me your dpu.ko file,  because know we have same kernel version release which you are showing in screen-shoot.

xilinx.png
dpu-info.png
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, @deepg799

You can change vermgic with https://github.com/puffydaemon/vermagic

I changed dpu.ko of 4.14.0-xilinx-v2018.2 to 4.14.0-xilinx-v2018.3 and it works well

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

ok which os you are using ? petalinux or debian 9.6

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

I am using an OS through Yocto, which is similar to one from petalinux. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, @deepg799

I'm using petalinux2018.3

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@deepg799 @easmith5 Plan to provide it by end of Feb or Early Mar. 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

@hokimthanx for the solution now I did the installation of dpu driver on custom os and I also compile and generate the hybrid executable file using make command but the problem is while the time of application running, it is throwing a below-mentioned error any idea about it?

root@zynqmp-iwg30m:/run/media/mmcblk1p1/ZU7/samples/miniVgg# ./miniVgg 1

DNNDK] Allocate DPU memory space in size of [16384 B]
[DNNDK] Failure of DPU memory space used out.

thanx in advance

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Can anybody help me to sort out this error

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

@aluo  Hi! Any word on this? Has the source been released? I'd really like to compile it with an exisiting OS I have set up for the Zynq+ SoC. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can also reference the following tutorial that ports the TRD to the Ultra96 and provides more detailed info on the flow: 

https://github.com/Xilinx/Edge-AI-Platform-Tutorials/tree/master/docs/DPU-Integration

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

@aluo  thank you! This looks a little difference than I was expecting... it seems to be a vivado project rather than source code for building the DPU kernel module. Did the method for implementing DPU change? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The sources for the kernel module are included in the Petalinux BSP delivered with the TRD, and they're also in the repository associated with the DPU Integration Tutorial. 

Terry

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

Hi @terryo yes, thank you. It looks like those can also be used as yocto recipes which is what I need. Do you know what versions of yocto the recipes are compatible with? (eg: rocko, sumo, etc?)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Petalinux 2018.x is based on rocko. You can find the Yocto version for any Petalinux version at the following wiki page: 

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841883/Yocto

Regards, 

Terry

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

@terryo One other question - Is there a possibility of writing this as a Yocto layer? That would make it really convenient to include in the project. I'm not totally sure how to incorporate it in a way that would update with the git repository, otherwise. 

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

Hi @aluo, is the link you gave me good for an ES (engineering silicon) ZCU102? Just wanted to double check. 

To both you and @terryo  I've managed to build my OS with the recipes included in the yocto build. My next questions is this: Do I need to import the .hdf file into the build as well? Normal I would take the files from the Yocto build (fsbl, uboot, etc) and then whatever bitstream I want and build a BOOT.BIN in the xilinx SDK. Can I do this here as well with the bitstream file in the code you linked? Or do I need to build the yocto image using the .hdf file from the code you linked. I'm a little bit unclear on exactly how to incorporate that part of things. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The .hdf includes the bitstream and other metdadata that allows Petalinux/Yocto and Vivado to stay in sync. I believe even with a custom yocto flow there is a reciepe that depends on it. Are you not seeing that?

Terry

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@easmith5  please use ZCU102 with production silicon.

0 Kudos
Observer easmith5
Observer

Hi @aluo the board I have is engineering silicon. Does Xilinx not produce code for that board anymore? I can see if I can get my hands on a production silicon board. 

@terryo in the past we haven't used a recipe that depends on the .hdf file in the custom yocto flow. We just used the BSP from the meta-xilinx-bsp layer with the machine defintion. In my attemps to figure this out, it looks like meta-xilinx-tools has a recipe that depends on the hdf. Perhaps I'll try to add that layer and see if it works. 

0 Kudos