UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer cerg19
Observer

Add vhdl file in Vivado diagram

Jump to solution

Hi.

I create simple project from Xilinx IP in Vivado 2013.4. I add all IP in Diagram and connect them to each other. I create custom vhdl file and want to add this file as component in diagram and connect it to others IP.

How I can create schematic block from my vhdl file and add it to my diagram?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Add vhdl file in Vivado diagram

Jump to solution

Hi,

Package your design using Vivado IP packager. After this add the IP repository to your block design project IP catalog. After this you can see your custom IP in "ADD IP" of block design.

Check these for more details

chapter-8 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf

lab-3 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug939-vivado-designing-with-ip-tutorial.pdf 

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Package your design using Vivado IP packager. After this add the IP repository to your block design project IP catalog. After this you can see your custom IP in "ADD IP" of block design.

Check these for more details

chapter-8 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf

lab-3 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug939-vivado-designing-with-ip-tutorial.pdf 

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Observer asrarhashmitud
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to ask further on this. I got the point that we can at custom vhdl after packaging and all that.

My question is that my vhdl is under designing/testing phase so every time i have to re package it and then re instantiate it which takes a lott of t ime. Does there exist any simpler way for doing this?

tHanks

Asrar

0 Kudos
Visitor m.alkadi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have this problem as well. Actually, in GUI mode Vivado can detect changes in the source files. The IP can be then updated with a couple of clicks without repackaging. But I didn't find a solution in tcl mode.

0 Kudos
Observer caryan
Observer

Jump to solution

For other internet searchers out there, as of Vivado 2016.1 it is much easier to add a bare HDL file to a block design by adding a module rather than jumping through hoops to package it up as IP. Vivado does a decent (but not perfect) job of just inferring the interfaces. See "Chapter 12: Referencing RTL Modules" in UG994.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

But beware!!!

If you happen to have instantiated some IP module in that RTL code, you will get an error telling you that referencing of IP is not enabled.

I have also had little luck with RTL files instantiating components in .ngc files. They pass synthesis, but fail on implementation with the message that they are black boxes, and vivado cannot find the underlying instance.

A vivado project with plain RTL toplevel (not block diagram) would find those .ngc files

0 Kudos
Observer caryan
Observer

Jump to solution

Yeah, there is a long list of limitations:

• The RTL module definition cannot include other IP definitions (XCI), netlists (EDIF or
DCP), nested block designs (BD) or another module that is set as out-of-context (OOC)
inside the RTL module.
• VHDL and Verilog are the only supported languages for module definition.
TIP: SystemVerilog and VHDL 2008 are not supported for the module or entity definition at the
top-level of the RTL module. 

We ran into the ngc one too as it's not explicitly listed but I assume it falls under the no netlists limitation and the VHDL-2008 is another annoying limitation for us.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for this post and the solution. 

0 Kudos