UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Adding new family support to an existing IP Repository

Jump to solution

Dear Forum,

I have just used a 3rd party IP in an Artix-7 design. I want to use the same IP in a Spartan-7 design, but looking at the component.xml file for this IP, I can see that the IP has only been setup to support Artix7 and Zynq families.

<xilinx:supportedFamilies>
<xilinx:family xilinx:lifeCycle="Pre-Production">artix7</xilinx:family>
<xilinx:family xilinx:lifeCycle="Pre-Production">zynq</xilinx:family>
</xilinx:supportedFamilies>

Is it possible to edit the .xml file (and others as required), to add Spartan7 support to this IP? The IP does not use any resources that are exclusive to the Artix-7 or Zynq families.

Adding spartan7 to the component.xml  file in the format shown above did not help.

Regards,

DJE666

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Adding new family support to an existing IP Repository

Jump to solution

Dear Forum,

I have found the answer. I needed to add the following line to the component.xml.

<xilinx:family xilinx:lifeCycle="Production">spartan7</xilinx:family>

Without this line in the .xml file, the IP was showing up in the IP catalog, but it could not be added to the Block Design as the Project was setup for Spartan-7, but the IP was only setup for Artix-7 and Zynq.  Thus Vivado refused to add non Spartan-7 IP to a Spartan-7 project.

Regards,

DJE666

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@dje666,

If the discussion from this thread (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/Spartan-7-and-Artix-7-comparison/td-p/729305) is true, I think you might be able to use the IP.

As this is the case, The IP does not use any resources that are exclusive to the Artix-7 or Zynq families....

What happens when you just use the IP as it is? Do you get an errors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear Forum,

I have found the answer. I needed to add the following line to the component.xml.

<xilinx:family xilinx:lifeCycle="Production">spartan7</xilinx:family>

Without this line in the .xml file, the IP was showing up in the IP catalog, but it could not be added to the Block Design as the Project was setup for Spartan-7, but the IP was only setup for Artix-7 and Zynq.  Thus Vivado refused to add non Spartan-7 IP to a Spartan-7 project.

Regards,

DJE666

View solution in original post

0 Kudos