Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krsheshu
Visitor
Visitor

Adding one block design into another to create a hierarchy

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I find a very weird issue with the Vivado IP Integrator that I can't add one hierarchial block design into another just using bd source files:
This is a very useful feature and is very important for code maintenance.
I could create an IP out of a block design and add it into another block design to create a hierarchy.
But this restricts traversal through the IP hierarchy and creates issues with looking at overall system. This also creates additional work in maintaining the block design file (or script) as well as the IP component file, and any change in bd would need to repackage the IP again which is cumbersome for big projects with many versions.

Is these some way to add a block design into another other than packing as an IP ?
I could copy a block design into another, but it just create two sources which is cumbersome and a very untidy way to maintain source code.
Altera has a better way for it to maintain code integrity with subsystems eventhough the tool presents the modules not in a good way.

I searched a lot, but didn't find any solutions except packing it as an IP.

Could you recommend some good solutions ? If not I guess I would need to scrap the IP integrator workflow, as code maintenance is a priority.

Hoping to get a reply soon,

Regards

Sheshu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @krsheshu ,

You can use block design container feature in Vivado 2020.2 to achieve this requirement. More details can be found here.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @krsheshu ,

You can use block design container feature in Vivado 2020.2 to achieve this requirement. More details can be found here.

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos