Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Best source editor for VHDL

Jump to solution

Hello!

I've got some nice suggestions in my old thread, but I'd like to ask more specific question and profit from the community's collective wisdom.

Would you kindly advise me a tool for rapid VHDL code creation? I'd like to have something for writing VHDL code that's similar to VisualAssitX for Visual Studio, if you know what I mean. A tool with language templates and rapid keyword input.

Please note I'm a humble Windows user. I have downloaded emacs the other day, but it doesn't look like normal Win app. In fact, I could barely make heads or tails out of it. In fact, I wasn't even able to add VHDL profile.

So, the are many good old text editors like Notepad++, but what tools are there to speedup the code typing/refactoring process?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

is this a request for some win$-bashing? :-)

I find it somehow contradicting, that you are asking for a productivity boasting tool, while clinging to a platform that does barely support your needs.

Tell me, have you ever written some sort of script (or batch-file as the redmond guys like to call them) to enhance your productivity? (rhetorical question)

Have you tried Sigasi (www.sigasi.com)?

It might be the next best thing, compared to emacs, but be warned. It has been bred in the swamps of UNIX ad Java, since it sets up on the Eclipse project. But it is available for Win$-OS too.

It has some sort of autocompletion and refactoring mechanism, but I don't know if thats what you are looking for.

Maybe it's worth a try.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

I find it somehow contradicting, that you are asking for a productivity boasting tool, while clinging to a platform that does barely support your needs.

Tell me, have you ever written some sort of script (or batch-file as the redmond guys like to call them) to enhance your productivity? (rhetorical question)

Have you tried Sigasi (www.sigasi.com)?

It might be the next best thing, compared to emacs, but be warned. It has been bred in the swamps of UNIX ad Java, since it sets up on the Eclipse project. But it is available for Win$-OS too.

It has some sort of autocompletion and refactoring mechanism, but I don't know if thats what you are looking for.

Maybe it's worth a try.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@eilert wrote:

I don't even fully understand what's bash, so no, definitely not :-)

Windows OS does well support support my other needs, so it's not contradicting at all. With every desicion we make we lose something here but we gain something there. Very few things are absolutely good or bad, don't you think?..

As for your question - the rhetorical answer is "Yes", but I can hardly understand what does it have to do with my initial question. Actually, I could possibly create the IDE that would suit my requests, but it would almost take my lifetime, that's why I'm searching for something already available.

Thanks for pointing me to  Sigasi. At first glance it looks like what I want. I might even get free educatonal license before I graduate this year :-)

@eilert wrote:

Have a nice synthesis

Thanks, same to you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@alexium wrote:

Hello!

I've got some nice suggestions in my old thread, but I'd like to ask more specific question and profit from the community's collective wisdom.

Would you kindly advise me a tool for rapid VHDL code creation? I'd like to have something for writing VHDL code that's similar to VisualAssitX for Visual Studio, if you know what I mean. A tool with language templates and rapid keyword input.

Please note I'm a humble Windows user. I have downloaded emacs the other day, but it doesn't look like normal Win app. In fact, I could barely make heads or tails out of it. In fact, I wasn't even able to add VHDL profile.

So, the are many good old text editors like Notepad++, but what tools are there to speedup the code typing/refactoring process?

ONE MORE TIME FOR THE WORLD:

emacs and its vhdl-mode is the only editor you need.

It doesn't look like a Windows application because it started out on Unix and has been ported to every operating system, ever. The Windows version works quite well. You just have to grok the non-obvious commands.

It is worth the time to learn.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

This subject has been beaten to death many times in many forums.

Here's a website dedicated to text entry for VHDL:

VHDL Editors

There's a poll on their site that indicates that emacs is still the most popular

editor and shows the relative ranking of other editors.  I'm not sure how large

their sample pool was, however.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Great.  The vampire thread topic...

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@gszakacs wrote:

Here's a website dedicated to text entry for VHDL:

VHDL Editors

There's a poll on their site that indicates that emacs is still the most popular

editor and shows the relative ranking of other editors.  I'm not sure how large

their sample pool was, however.

-- Gabor

Believe it or not, but I did use web search before posting and didn't find the resources you pointed me to. Which once again confirms: to ask a proper question (or, in this case, to comprise a search query) you have to know half of the answer.

Thanks to everyone for help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

just forget about the win$-mocking. I was just kidding. (couldn't resist.)

If the sigasi tool serves your needs, everything's just fine

Regards

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Real Programmers use Edlin!

:smileywink:

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Real Programmers use Edlin!

Well, that rules me out, right there...

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

For programs like this?

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-] >++.>+.+++++++. 
.+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.+++.

:robothappy:

0 Kudos