cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cc01
Participant
Participant

Can I use a block design as top module directly?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry if this question is stupid.

I am wondering if I can use a block design as top module in Vivado directly. Or do I need use a wrapper RTL to instantiate an instance of the block design file.

Thanks

CC

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
syedz

@cc01 

You cannot use BD as top module directly. It should have RTL wrapper which tool can automatically create if you select "create HDL wrapper" when you right click BD file. 

Check "Integrating the Block Design into a Top-Level Design" : https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf#page=108 

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
syedz

@cc01 

You cannot use BD as top module directly. It should have RTL wrapper which tool can automatically create if you select "create HDL wrapper" when you right click BD file. 

Check "Integrating the Block Design into a Top-Level Design" : https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf#page=108 

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?

View solution in original post

cc01
Participant
Participant

thank you

0 Kudos