cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Changing Vivado GUI colors issues

Hello. Have decided to crate a new topic, since there was no sign of activity in this one.

I was wondering, are there any updates on Vivado background colors and themes? Right now in 2017.4 all the problems discussed in a topic "Change colors on Vivado" are still there. Any news on the "request to the factory through CR-982658 - 'Color Changing Parameter Option for GUI in Vivado' specifically for the mentioned areas: Flow Navigator, Sources, Source File Properties and Block Design Backgrounds" ? (the JIRA link doesn't seem to work).

Also I'd like to point out a few detected bugs, discovered while trying to change colors for a Dark Theme.

1. Just to give you an idea, I'm trying to make the text editor colors something like that:

viv_colors_02.jpg

However, whenever I restart the PC and re-launch Vivado, I get this:

viv_colors_01.jpg

As you can see, the color of 'Current Line Background' is displayed in default yellowish [255,255,215] color, even though the actual value in the Options is [64,64,64]. Need to manually change it to something like [64,64,65] for it to update and display the actual gray color again.

2. Also the black keyboard cursor is pretty much invisible on the dark background (hard to see even with highlight here):

viv_colors_03.jpg

3. Background for error (and sometimes warning) messages in Tcl console is wrong:

viv_colors_04.jpg

viv_colors_05.jpg

Somehow, the first character of the string is displayed correct, but the rest of the string has a default white background.

4. No color controls for "Simulation/Debug" session:

viv_colors_06.jpg

Can't see text on line 66  due to default yellow background.

P.S.: Vivado v2017.4 (64-bit), OS Win7 64-bit

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @mk.anton,

The engineering had brainstormed on this enhancement (above mentioned CR) and decided not to pursue it. Regarding the pointer on dedicated bugs, once the analysis is done we will post the update here.

Regards,

Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @mk.anton,

For #1 (display the actual gray color again):: When changing the text editor color and after restarting PC, it gets back to default yellow color. This has been reproduced and we have filed CR for this bug.

For #2 (black keyboard cursor):: The cursor is controlled by the OS. Way around it is to make the current line background light, say grey, so that the black cursor is seen.

For #3:: Could not see this in 2018.1 for errors in console. So this looks to be fixed in Vivado 2018.1.

For #4 on simulation:: We are not sure on how to reproduce this problem. Can you please help us with that?

Thanks for pointing out these observations with tool.

Regards

Prathik

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

prathikm,

Regarding issue #2, pretty much any other IDE is capable of doing that (either automatically or by some explicit option). It seems strange, that such mature IDE as Xilinx Vivado can't handle that.

You can reproduce issue #4 by running simulation for any built-in Vivado IP example design. E.g., using FIFO Generator IP Example:
1) In any project open Block Design.
2) Add FIFO Generator IP block.
3) Right click FIFO Generator instance, click "Open IP Example Design..."
4) In a newly created design "Run Simulation".
5) By default, simulation stops at 1us. Do "Run all" (F3 or using TCL console).
Simulation stops, the focus shifts to the final statement in the testbench file, and you should see something similar to what was shown in the screen, attached in the original message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @mk.anton

I initially changed font from default to background (0,0,0) then::

1) Created project.
2) Added FIFO Gen IP block in BD.
3) Opened IP Example Design.
4) Run Simulation which halts at 1us.
5) Run all and i see this in Vivado 2017.4 Win10 64.

forum_a.png

Regards

Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

prathikm,

According to the attached image in the previous post, the font color itself is the default black. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying, that you have just changed the background to black (0,0,0), but haven't changed the foreground (i.e. font color itself), to create contrast against black background? That doesn't make any sense (most of the text won't be visible at all).

Basically, my original comment regarding this issue was to provide any user option to control the color of the default yellow background for the currently highlighted simulation focus line (or whatever the name for it). Otherwise, for a black color theme (with light colored font foreground) it is hardly possible to perceive the text against the default yellow background.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@mk.anton

By default settings, we see the below for any RTL view.

default.PNG

What i mentioned in last post is changing the background color to black.

change.PNG

Now the current line background is light yellow (option 3) which i did not change. But if other text is not visible in black, why not change the foreground text style to something light (text editor> VHDL/verilog)?

text.stylePNG.PNG

Or make the current line background to something that fits light text?

worked.PNG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The issue #4 is not about "Current Line Background" (which is configurable). Issue #4 is about current line background highlighting during simulation. It looks like there is no user option to control it, and the default yellow causes problems for light text colors. Am I making myself clear?

I guess a lot of this color problems would have been resolved, if there was a default Black Background Theme, so that this sort of issues would have been detected and fixed before production at a testing phase.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@mk.anton,

ok thanks. I think i got your observation:: When the text color is light or say yellow (255,255,0) the highlight of simulation break does not allow the text to be visible, since there is no option to change this yellow highlight color from tool. Correct me if this is not the case.

sim_CR.PNG

Yes, upon checking i do not think there is an option to change yellow highlight color which is same in 2018.1. Once i confirm this, i will file an enhancement CR for this observation and pass your feedback to factory.

Thanks

Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Additional Bugs/Feature requests. It would be good to apply code color theme changes to other GUI windows.

1) "Language Template" : Previewviv_colors_07(Language Template).jpg

2) "Add Source Files" : Preview

viv_colors_08(Add Source Files).jpg

Right now only the "Current Line Background" is changed; everything else matches default "Light Color Theme":

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@mk.anton

I have filed CR for #4 - highlight of simulation break does not allow light color text to be visible in editor.
For additional requests/queries, I suggest you create a new topic in forum, as we have concluded the four topics discussed here.

Regards

Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

This sort of bureaucracy isn't helpful. Why can't CR be filed based on the info from the previous post? What is the purpose of creating another similar thread  (will have to partial copy-paste messages from here)? Just to make someone waste their time? People are trying to do you a service, pointing out the bugs in your system, so that it can be improved to benefit everyone.

It is a pity there is no "anti-kudos" button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @mk.anton,

The reason to create a new topic for above requested new enhancement is to help us and other users track the initial four primary bugs/enhancement we discussed in this thread (as a separate one) and also the new requested enhancement in a new thread- for future. This is also a good community forum practice we have been following and encourage users to follow - discussing once issue per thread.

I would appreciate your understanding in this regard.

Thanks

Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Created a new topic here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The issue #4 is fixed and verified in Vivado 2018.3. There is user ability to control current break-point background color and cursor color.

Capture.PNG

- Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The issue #1 where the 'Current Line Background' color of tool changing after restart of PC without user intervention is fixed and verified in Vivado 2018.3.

- Prathik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I don't think issue #3 is fixed. Here is a screenshot of the problem from Vivado 2018.3:

vivado_2018.3_console_warning_bug.png

As you can see both Errors and Warnings aren't displayed correct.

0 Kudos