Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Changing default browser / HTML viewer on Vivado 2018

Jump to solution

My version is 2018.2.

How can I change default HTML viewer / browser in Vivado ..? There is nothing that allows it to be configured in the Tools->Settings that I've found.

This was pretty trivial for me to do previously on ISE , from memory I could specify exactly which binary to invoke...

Please suggest?  I'm on Linux .   

(Problem is that whatever it's trying to open is not found, and this is not a default set by my desktop environment - because that works. So I need to override Vivado's browser invocation, probably ...   xdg-open otherwise works from shell here )

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Changing default browser / HTML viewer on Vivado 2018

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Are you using one of the supported OS for Vivado 2018.2? 
Page 11 in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

I will also check with the licensing team and get back to you

Thanks,
-Romisaa

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

In Vivado 2018.2 > Tools > Settings > Help > Documentation > Open with your web browser.

- If explorer is your default browser, any documentation should open in that. If you need to change it, for example to chrome, make chrome as the default browser in your system and the documentation from tool should open in chrome.

browser.PNG

Please let me know if you still need more assistance.

Thanks,
Romisaa
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give Kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

That still wouldn't work.

As I tried to explain, it fails to open default browser. Example pic attached.

Default browser works fine and gets invoked by other apps fine.

vivado_bad_html_viewer.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

If you opened a new vivado session change the default browser then select Documentation and Tutorials in the Learning Center. Did it redirect you to the default browser? 
also, what is the family datasheet you are trying to open so I could test it on my end?

Thanks,
Romisaa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

No. 

Changing that in the new Vivado session and then clicking on Documentation and Tutorials brings up the same error - as in pic above.

Still down to the same problem  - cannot find the viewer / browser inside.

There should be a manual configuration section _some_where_ in Vivado where I can insert exactly what to invoke.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Are you using one of the supported OS for Vivado 2018.2? 
Page 11 in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

I will also check with the licensing team and get back to you

Thanks,
-Romisaa

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

@romisaas 

It is a definitely supported OS - Linux.  The flavor & version is a bit different, which shouldn't matter, at all. 

If I can invoke a "default" web browser in my Desktop session with a standard command for this, from console, (see first post) and it works, it should then also work for Vivado.
It also works when is invoked from DocNav 2018.2: if I click on doc_id with a web link, it is then sent to my browser and it then downloads the zip file with the document I've clicked on.

If invoking the default configured in my session doesn't work for some reason with Vivado - it actually seems to complain that it cannot find HTML browser in PATH (per that snapshot I pasted)  - then it's probably trying to locate specific app executable from list it knows of, and fails. That couldn't be a hard fixed list then, one should be able to set it / change if what's default in Vivado fails.

And again, in old ISE I was able to change it. But struggle to find this option in Vivado - even if in some config file not through GUI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Can you try using this tcl command "report_environment -file /home/user/report_environment.txt" This will fetch all the license information and it might solve the documentation issue.

Can you update me after trying the command?

Thanks,
Romisaa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Do you have any updates from using the command  "report_environment -file /home/user/report_environment.txt"

also, can you share the following details with us so we can reproduce the error from our end

-Which Linux (lsb_release -a)
-Which shell (bash or tcsh...)
-How you are setting the default browser.

If this allows us to reproduce, a CR could be filed. 

Thanks,
Romisaa

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I 'm still to generate it. 

Note: this is WebPack edition, I do not have any special license.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @romisaas 

Here are your answers

- Linux : Fedora 30.    (sorry I do not have LSB installed, and it shouldn't be needed to invoke HTML browser)
 - I use bash.   To start Vivado I use Vivado's installed links
 - Default browser : I didn't set myself, I just installed one. Otherwise, if I go in my Desktop session  Preferred Applications -> System Applications,  and can choose one there.
Currently, that is Chromium Web Browser. I would not like to use other.

Please note in my original / first post, about invoking browser:  to test how user preferred browser is called / if it works, I use xdg-open.  (https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-open). Thus, for testing, a command from bash succeeds invoking my preferred browser: 

xdg-open https://www.google.com
xdg-settings get default-web-browser
> chromium-browser.desktop

Again, I do not know where / how Vivado has it set, but assuming it's calling whatever use has set as Preferred in its Desktop session, this command could / should be used. (And it works )

This is also seems what Xilinx DocNav appears to be calling - i see at least the reference to this call in the Qt library which DocNav is using.

Please then, could you help me with answer : What does Vivado use to invoke user preferred browser?  If it doesn't call it,  where does it look for HTML viewers on the system? (Is it that hidden inside Vivado that I cannot see it anywhere ..)

This is what I see I need/want to really help Vivado find it on my system.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Ok, so I would suggest that you add it to your PATH variable. When Vivado can launch it, It can also launch the same executable from the command line "chromium".

So, it should look something like "export PATH=$PATH:<path to your web browser executable>"

I will check what Vivado use to invoke user-preferred browser and get back to you 

Thanks,
Romisaa

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

I will try to explicitly add the path, but, I think Chromium is already in the default / common installation directory for all User apps to find it.

However, I will try add this to PATH and start Vivado from the shell.

Extra question: is it possible to 'test' invoke the browser from the TCL console in Vivado? That could possibly indicate if Chromium is in path or not (if TCL console inherits user PATH)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Ok,

Thanks for the PATH suggestion. After experimenting, I saw that Vivado 2018 simply doesn't know / doesn't invoke Chrome (or variations of name of) as it's default HTML viewer.

The two things I saw it does search for (among others) are Firefox and Mozilla  - simply if I put it in path. However, these I do not have (and wouldn't want to add). The remote command invocation seems different between Chrome and those, so you can't link them to Chrome, not gonna work..

However, I do have Epiphany (a Gnome browser), and that appears to be similar (for remote control?) as Firefox.  Creating a symlink for firefox  command to Epiphany does the trick to invoke HTML viewer from Vivado.

The situation is different in DocNav, where you can invoke Chrome.  When DocNav rather than HTML option is used in Vivado, Vivado does print useful traces if invoked on console, such as for example attempts to invoke HTML browswer. But,  if option is set to default HTML viewer, then Vivado doesn't print anything of use, makes it hard to see what's it looking for ... 

So yea. Would be nice to see a complete "hardcoded" list if supported HTML viewers.  

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry,

Thanks for your feedback. I will pass it to the Documentation team.

Please let me know if you still need more assistance.

However, if your query is answered now, please mark a response as 'Accepted Solution' (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions), so that the topic can be completed then.

We appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Romisaa
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

@romisaas 

I'll mark your reference to Vivado guide above as solution.

It is  not a solution, but, the doc you referred to above mentions "Firefox" in at least two places, for Linux users.

Thank you

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dry ,

I have reported this to GUI development team as an enhancement through CR. Specified to add chrome as one of default browsers on Linux OS and to provide ability to specify default browser through Vivado.  

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------