UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ewalls
Visitor

Clocking Wizard 6.0 not locking

I am currently using Vivado 18.3 and have placed a Clocking Wizard 6.0 IP block into my design.

Sadly the lock output is never asserting.  It is a straightforward block so I'm a bit uncertain as to why this should be.

I'm inputting a 100MHz system clock and generating a single 19.2 MHz output Clock with Lock.

I'm using a Zedboard and I've connected the Lock signal to one of the onboard LEDs.  I've also connected a NOT Lock to another LED so that at least one is always lit (just so I can reassure myself I've actually connected things to pins).

See attached screenshots of the design and configuration of the clocking wizard.

Why isn't the Lock output asserting (high)?

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Clocking Wizard 6.0 not locking

So how does the simulation look ?

You have two choices here,

You find these sort of errors by traceing back the fault in simulation,

or

you randomly guess what the problem is , fix it and check again on the board.

it could be because of reset,

it could be because the clock wisard has not be configured right by the processing system

it could be the processing system is not working,

it could be ?????

Once simulation works , then you hit the board.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor ewalls
Visitor

Good point and well made.  I hadn't thought to simulate it as it seemed so simple however as you can see in the attached screenshot when simulated it does actually provide a clock and asserts a lock signal so I'm still confused why this isn't happening in HW.

The lock is active HIGH isn't it?  That is what the datasheet seems to imply.

Still very confused.

6.png
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

In your design, your using the dynamic reconfiguratoi port of the clock wizard,

bu tthats not present in the sim, so I suspect they are not the same thing,

Its a guess, but try removing the dynamic config port from your IP, and see if thats whats causing the problem.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor ewalls
Visitor

@drjohnsmith wrote:

In your design, your using the dynamic reconfiguratoi port of the clock wizard,

bu tthats not present in the sim, so I suspect they are not the same thing,

Its a guess, but try removing the dynamic config port from your IP, and see if thats whats causing the problem.

The dynamic config was put in to give me access to the register set so that I could have the linux kernel read if the clock was locked or not before proceeding to configure an external device.

Anyhow, that has now been removed so the clock wizard is literally just a 100MHz input, a 19.2MHz output.  An active low reset and a Locked ouput.

I have simulated this and it seems to work fine but when it is put in hardware, nothing.  No clock, no lock....

I've driven both signals out to a PMOD pin (on the Zedboard) and attached a 'scope.  There is nothing on either output.  No clock and no lock.

I'm utterly stumped!

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

have you checked the reset is low ?

is the device configured ( done led on ? )

0 Kudos
Visitor ewalls
Visitor

@drjohnsmith wrote:

have you checked the reset is low ?

is the device configured ( done led on ? )

The device is configured (led is on).  I haven't physically checked the reset.  I'll check.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

IM afraid your down to good old fashion debugging

its goign to be soimething simple..

0 Kudos
Visitor ewalls
Visitor

OK. 

I'm more "Old School" FPGA and only recently been introduced to the Zynq.

The reset is working in simulation but when brought out to an external pin it looks like the PL is staying in reset.  Does the Zynq SoC need the PS to be programmed before the PS system clock and reset do their thing? (Can't believe I'm asking this question really...)

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Thats a good question

The systems I use , the PS is always programmed first to then bring up the PL, even if its a noddy boot,

BUT

I have memory that the PL can be bought up on own, but that might be via JTAG only.

sorry , not more helpful,

0 Kudos