UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sethniels
Visitor

Comparator v8.0 Alternative for Virtex-5, Virtex-6, and Virtex-7

BLUF: Is there an alternative IP core to the Comparator v8.0 core that is compatible with Virtex-5, -6 and -7 FPGAs?

I was looking for an IP core to perform a greater-than-or-equal-to operation on 2 unsigned integers and found the Comparator v8.0 core; however, not only is it discontinued, it is not supported for the FPGAs I am interested in, i.e. Virtex-5, -6, and -7. I have scoured these forums and Google trying to find an alternative to this IP Core for the above-mentioned devices, but the only alternatives I have found are:

The DSP block option just seemed a bit awkward since you have to instantiate the DSP primitive directly (without the benefit of an IP Macro) and the HDL option is less than desirable because I would like to have a little more control over the pipelining/latency of the implementation. If these are my only two options, then I'm okay with that, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some new IP core that replaced the old one.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Comparator v8.0 Alternative for Virtex-5, Virtex-6, and Virtex-7

Hi,

The Comparator v8.0 Core can be used on a Virtex-5 device by generating the core for a Virtex-4 device and implementing that netlist on a Virtex-5 device.

You have an option of DSP Macro as well:
3.PNG

Few more alternatives to the Comparator can be found here:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/30101.html

Thanks,
Nupur

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Visitor sethniels
Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I have tried the DSP48 Macro, although I only have access to DSP48 Macro v2.1 (using ISE 13.2) which doesn't have a simple way to set up a comparator (or perhaps I don't know what instruction to use). The above-mentioned link, Implement it with a DSP48 block, says the macro doesn't support the pattern detector operation necessary for a comparator, which is why you have to instantiate the DSP primitive directly.

I did not know that the Comparator v8.0 implementation for V-4 was also compatible for the V-5, but I am looking for a solution that is simultaneously compatible with V-5, -6 and -7.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Then you can try the other alternatives given here: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/30101.html
and see if they are useful.

Thanks,
Nupur
Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos