Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmaharjan
Visitor
Visitor

Conversion of VHDL code to symbol

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using schematic entry of xilinx ISE for my project . I've coded some part of my project in VHDL in xilinx ISE. Is there any way that the VHDL code can be converted into a symbol so that I can use it in my schematic part? I would appreciate any suggestion or help in this matter.

Milan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

I don't have ISE open in front of me, so forgive me if the names I give you aren't quite right.

In the ISE GUI (project navigator) you would add the VHDL source to your project (Project -->

Add Source).  Then if you select the file in the hierarchy view you should have in the

processes window (lower left) something like Design Utilities (working from memory here).

This should have a "+" next to it that if you click will expand to show available processes

like "check syntax".  It should also include "Generate Schematic Symbol".

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

10 Replies
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

I don't have ISE open in front of me, so forgive me if the names I give you aren't quite right.

In the ISE GUI (project navigator) you would add the VHDL source to your project (Project -->

Add Source).  Then if you select the file in the hierarchy view you should have in the

processes window (lower left) something like Design Utilities (working from memory here).

This should have a "+" next to it that if you click will expand to show available processes

like "check syntax".  It should also include "Generate Schematic Symbol".

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

mmaharjan
Visitor
Visitor

Gabor,

Thanks a lot for your response.

Milan

0 Kudos
thomas.marine

This is the answer where i was looking at for several weeks,

Thanks...

0 Kudos
gusehd123

Thanks a lot.

I'm looking for that.

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

What is the record for oldest and stalest "zombie" thread to be resurrected with a new post?  This one was in hibernation for only 21 months (roughly).  Surely we've seen worse than this!

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
nposozvezdie
Observer
Observer

It was helpful for me too, thanks!

I think the reason for continious bumping some very old topics is quite serious. It is noticeable degrade in user-friendlity of modern Xilinx tools in compare to old ones, particularly Xilinx Foundation versions 3 or 4, which, i think, are ~15 years old. These old tools was really intuitive, complete and require very little learning time for operator to start productive work. They are also was highly configurable in user interface.

Example: Creating LogiBlox instance was (for me - 'is', not 'was') intuitive and clear, and software even worry about user's time and tie generated symbol to mouse cursor, then user only press one button on sheet and get symbol on schematic! Time economy is *very* important. Now i need to do approximately 8 steps to get the symbol - and most of them cannot be done using keyboard; also some of them are non-intuitive (this is IMHO a reason for this topic to born).

Another example: all entities in old schematic editor was placeable using hotkeys, and there was best possible hotkeys - function keys. Time economy was moderate. Now i found only few shortcuts, most of them are 'Ctrl' combinations, and one (Ctrl+W) of two most important (place wire and place instance) is not work (but this may be due to i use Linux, not Windows). So i now must aiming small icons with mouse many times more in a day.

There are unfortunately too much bad news to place it here, *but*, i really love Xilinx software and always try to find and use its best sides before say 'it is bad'. Extremely many thanks to developers for Linux versions of software! It is really important for me. I sure the programmers make all things best possible, but please do it user-friendly, not only developer-friendly. Please rework some parts to make it more intuitive. Which particularly? I think the best way to determine it is create 'user survey' feedback web pages. Or any other form of user feedback. (Or it already exist now?). If we take into account *each* of reasonable and complete feedbacks, we build best software ever. Also please note, i will never ask programmers to write something impossible:  many really useful and time-saving things can be added using no more than ten lines of code.

I am very sorry if it is an offtopic here,

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
benh88
Observer
Observer

How about another 4-year Zombie Thread bump ? hehe

Is schematic view used by anyone nowadays ? Maybe thats why Xilinx have pushed those functions deeper

0 Kudos
mink54

Whether it was or not, we've manage to beat it in the same thread!

0 Kudos
negu93
Visitor
Visitor

And how do you open it once created?

I have now the .sym file but double click on it doesn't work and I don't see it from the ISE Project Navigator tool.

I'm running linux mint.

0 Kudos
darkquesh

Click on the + next to Synthesize - XST and in the drop-down menu, click View RTL Schematic and proceed with the second option.

0 Kudos