UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Generator Producing Too Many Block Memories

I'm using ISE 12.3 core generator to generate (for Virtex 6) a simple dual-port memory with port A (write port) 128b wide by 256 deep, and port B (read port) 32b wide by 1024 deep (i.e. a 1:4 port aspect ratio).  I understand that the maximum BRAM bus width is 72b, so coregen needs to use at least two 36K BRAMs to implement a 128b wide bus, but for some reason it is using up 4 BRAMs.  Can anyone explain why it needs 4 BRAMs rather than 2?

This seems to be determined by the port aspect ratio.  If I change port B to be 128b wide by 256 (i.e. a 1:1 port aspect ratio), then coregen requires only 2 BRAMs.

Cheers,

Nathan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Core Generator Producing Too Many Block Memories

Are you sure that Coregen is using 4 36Kb RAMs?  I would have thought that this configuration would

fit in 4 18Kb RAMs, which in effect only uses two 36K RAM blocks.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos

Yes, coregen's summary information reports that 4 36K BRAMs will be used.  Also after I instantiate and implement the design, PlanAhead shows 4 36K BRAMs.  Any idea why so many?

0 Kudos

OK, this is really bugging me.  I have run into similar problems generating a 512x64 true dual-port memory.  In this case the block memory generator (v. 4.3), in the information field on page 5, reports that it needs 2 36K BRAMs, rather than just one.

Experimenting further, I tried 512x36, and it reports needing 1 36K BRAM, rather than 1 18K BRAM.

Is this a bug?  I guess I can just instantiate the primitives directly, but I figured it ought to be easier, more managable and more efficient (esp. for complex memories) to use coregen.  Clearly, it's not very efficient :{

Cheers,

Nathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

BTW, I'm targetting V6LX240T.  I've read the UG363 and I don't see any issues with the aspect ratios I require.

... Correction:  Table 1-5 of UG363 explains it.  In true dual-port mode, the 36K BRAM supports only up to 36 bit widths, and the 18K BRAM only goes up to 18 bits wide.

0 Kudos