UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

CoreGEN IP RAM output 0

Hi,

my problem is that when I stop reading from RAMs, which were generated with CoreGEN, the output of RAM is still the last value I've read. Is there a way using CoreGenerator to make RAMs give 0 in it's output when read_enable is "false" ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: CoreGEN IP RAM output 0

Some FPGA families (like Virtex-5) have a BlockRAM have a SSRA/SSRB pins that provide a synchronous set or reset to the output port.   This may not be an option in the CoreGen memory core, so you would need to modify the HDL code to add it to your design.

Setting the outputs to zeros, because the RAM was not enabled and read is unusual as the data for any address could be zero.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Following up on Ed McGettigan's post...

For Virtex-5, see UG190 v5.3 page 125:  Block RAM Port Signals.  See Set/Reset - SSR[A|B] description.  Also note the description of the SRVAL attribute.

For Virtex-6, see UG363 v1.5 page 23-24:  Block RAM Port Signals.  See Set/Reset description.  Also note the description of the SRVAL attribute.

For Spartan-6, see UG383 v1.3 page 20-21:  Block RAM Port Signals.  See Set/Reset description.  Also note the description of the SRVAL attribute.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I'm using Virtex-4. In CoreGen there is an option to use SSR[A|B]. Unfortunately, when I tried to simulate RAMs using "Block Memory Generator" with SSR[B] pin, the output of RAMs is still the last value read. It seems that SSR pin is somethow not even responding to signals.... (during simulation I give some data to write into RAMs, then I read it and finally the positive reset signal to SSR pin is being sent, but after that RAMs output is still not zero...) Maybe I missed something?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The Virtex-4 FPGA User Guide, UG070,  describes the following behavior:

Set/Reset - SSR[A|B]

The SSR pin forces the data output latches to contain the value “SRVAL” (see “Block RAM
Attributes,” page 127). The data output latches are synchronously asserted to 0 or 1,
including the parity bit. In a 36-bit width configuration, each port has an independent
SRVAL[A|B] attribute of 36 bits. This operation does not affect RAM cells and does not
disturb write operations on the other port. Similar to the read and write operation, the
set/reset function is active only when the enable pin of the port is active. Set/reset polarity
is configurable (active High by default). This pin is not available when optional output
registers are used.

It isn't clear from your prior post if all of the conditions are met.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos