cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Coregen MIG tool dialog off screen

When I use the coregen to generate a dual port ram, the cancel/OK/document buttons are off the screen. I am using a laptop with screen res 1280x800 running Vista.

The dialog box is fixed size and giant, with a lot of wasted space, so it is larger than the screen, and the bottom portion is off screen so I cannot see or click any of the buttons.

Other than adding a second bigger monitor, or tabbing and clicking on random unseen buttons, has anyone gotten a graceful solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you clarify which Coregen tool you are using?  The title says MIG, but the text says "dual port ram" which isn't in MIG.

One somewhat painful trick you can use is to use the Window's move function on the title bar with your arrow keys to move the screen up a bit.  You may be able to push it up enough that you can see the buttons you need.   I've only done this on XP, not Vista, so I'm not sure if it will help you or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

williambhunter wrote:

When I use the coregen to generate a dual port ram, the cancel/OK/document buttons are off the screen. I am using a laptop with screen res 1280x800 running Vista.

The dialog box is fixed size and giant, with a lot of wasted space, so it is larger than the screen, and the bottom portion is off screen so I cannot see or click any of the buttons.

Other than adding a second bigger monitor, or tabbing and clicking on random unseen buttons, has anyone gotten a graceful solution to this problem?

There is no good reason to use the Core Generator to create a RAM.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry about the MIG reference, it was the block memory generator and not the MIG.

I tried the trick you mentioned with the move, and it allows you to move the screen and see the buttons, but as soon as you move the mouse, the screen snaps back and the buttons are off the screen again. This might be a Vista only "improvement".

This still may allow me to use the tab key to move the highlited context to the desired button, and then use your trick to see if I got the right button, and then use the space bar to select the option. It will be anoying, but not as anoying as being locked out of the tool. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

bussman59, I could hand code a large dual port ram in vhdl, and hopefully with constraints convince the tool to use block rams. This would make the code more portable, but that is not a factor in this design. Last time I tried to code a large FIFO in code so that it could be used on Xilinx and Altera, it caused synplify pro to crash. If it was a single port ram, I think a direct instanciation might be best, but with a dual port I thought I would save some time using coregen. I have seen plenty of good VHDL coders mess up hand coded dual port rams and FIFOs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

williambhunter wrote:

I have seen plenty of good VHDL coders mess up hand coded dual port rams and FIFOs.

If this is so, then by definition they are not "good VHDL coders."

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Another thing I forgot to mention about the envinronment is that it is located in the real world, instead of the imaginary world were engineers never make mistakes, and computers never crash.
0 Kudos