cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwarner174
Observer
Observer

Create a project mode project from a non-project mode script.

Hello,

I have a few projects where I have written non-project mode scripts I use to generate everything I need for configuring my target FPGA.  I save some checkpoints but I was wondering if there was a way to generate a project mode project from the non-project mode script.  Mostly this would be useful for adding debug and using vivado to debug issues on the fly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Warner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
thakurr

Hi @rwarner174

You open the interactive design environment while you offer start_gui command after each step of the design flow. This will allow you add the signals to debug the design. Please go through the below video:

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/using-the-non-project-batch-flow.html

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
avrumw
Expert
Expert

The simple answer is "no".

Non-project mode and project mode are fundamentally different. There is no automated way to convert between the two. If you really want a project mode version of your design, you will have to start it from scratch. Of course, the RTL and the constraints will be the same between the two, but the script (if you choose to use scripted project mode instead of scripted non-project mode) will be completely different.

That being said, even in non-project mode, you have access to almost all of the capabilities of the interactive environment and the GUI. However, I am not certain about the flow for inserting the ILA in non-project mode - I know you can use the instantiation flow, but it is possible (again, I don't know) if you can use the insertion flow in non-project mode.

Avrum

howardp
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The term "non-project mode" is really a misnomer.  The mode is better describe as in-memory mode.  There is actually a project created for the "non-project" flow but the project is in memory.  As pointed out by thakur, you can use the start_gui command to open the gui and run various project options.  Another thing that may be useful to you is the save_project_as command.  This will allow you to write out the in-memory project to an XPR project file on disc.

The project created will still exhibit the typical differences characteristic of non-project mode. For an overview of differences see:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug892-vivado-design-flows-overview.pdf