UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie gmims

Creating Custom IP and connecting it to a board component

Jump to solution

I have created a custom IP with a GPIO output. When I package the IP I use the Packaging Step Ports and Interfaces to declare the output as a GPIO and package the IP.

Screenshot from 2019-10-17 17-57-23.png

Then I go back to my block design and open the Board Window ( I am using a zcu102 dev board)

Under General Purpose Input or Output I can find the LED I want to connect. If I right click it and select Connect Board Component it lists a couple of options (see picture), but my custom IP is missing.

Screenshot from 2019-10-17 18-04-05.png

I have searched the User guide for creating and packaging IP but have not found the information I need.

I have tried selecting the AXI GPIO in the Connect Board Component selection. It adds a Port  for the LED and the AXI GPIO IP. When I delete the AXI GPIO IP, I can connect my custom IP to the Port.

However in the Board Window the orange marker for indicating the LED is connected is missing and when I try to generate my bitstream I get a critical warning. The warning informs me that I have not specified the I/O Standard and the location for the LED Port.

My question is:

How do I make the GPIO output of my custom IP recognizable by the connect board component selection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Creating Custom IP and connecting it to a board component

Jump to solution

Correct, it's not an automatic process. You must make appropriate edits to the board files.

Cheers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @gmims 

In order to be able to drag-and-drop your custom IP from a component in the board tab, you must follow the guidelines for Board file (see UG895, Appendix A

You can also try adding your IP, making the ouput ports to the LED external, adding the axi GPIO block to connect your IP to the AXI interconnect and then using the zcu102 schematic & master xdc file to assign the appropriate ports. These files are available here: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-u1-zcu102-g.html#documentation

Cheers
0 Kudos
Newbie gmims

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice.

I took a look at the board files and it seems like the IPs, which can be connected, have to be explicitly stated in the preset.xml file.

If I understand correctly it is not possible to just create an IP, configure the IPs interfaces so that Vivado autoimatically detects that it can be connected to the ports defined in the board files ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Correct, it's not an automatic process. You must make appropriate edits to the board files.

Cheers
0 Kudos