UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Critical Warning

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am getting this critical warning:

[IP_Flow 19-1663] Duplicate IP found for 'xilinx.com:module_ref:csc_ccm_video_out:1.0'. The one found in IP location ...../csc/csc.srcs/sources_1/bd/mref/csc_ccm_video_out' will take precedence over the same IP in location ...../csc/csc.srcs/sources_1/bd/mref/csc_ccm_video_out

Same location.  Why is it a duplicate IP?

I got this warning after using "Create and Package New IP".

I am using Vivado 2018-2-1.

Regards,

Jacques

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Critical Warning

Jump to solution

Hi @jmcm,

Thank you for the test case.

The Project in the test case has a Block design which has an RTL module reference. You are trying to add a wrapper to this BD and then package this BD as a Custom IP.

Only my custom RTL modules are in the list of duplicated IPs (duplicated with themselves).

The reason this is happening in your design is because 

this is a wrong usage as per UG994, please see the following screenshot

Capture.JPG

please see the following link for more information

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf#page=216

So while packaging the overall BD as an IP tool considers the RTL module references as an IP and then creates an IP definition for it 

This IP definition of RTL module then coincides with the definition present in <project>.srcs -> component.xml which is created after the BD is packaged and saved in <project>.srcs

Thus the Critical warning

Workarounds

1. Package the RTL module as a standalone custom IP and then add it to the block design which is to be packaged as IP.

2. Save the new packaged IP (one from BD ) to another location rather than <project>.srcs so the definitions won't coincide

Regards

Suraj C 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@jmcm 

The error means that tool found multiple definitions ( .xci file ) for the same IP in your design.

please go to the location specified by the error message and if there are multiple xci files delete the unwanted xci file and let us know if the error shows up or not

--Suraj

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Surajc,

This is what I have in the location specified by the error message:

component.xml

xgui/csc_ccm_video_out_v1_0.tcl

No xci file.

But in directory ./csc.srcs/sources_1/bd/csc/ip/

There is:

csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0_0/csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0_0.xci

and

csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0/csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0.xci

I diff'd these 2 files and they are the same except for the Instancename and the PARAM_VALUE.Component_Name:

9c9
< <spirit:instanceName>csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0_0</spirit:instanceName>
---
> <spirit:instanceName>csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0</spirit:instanceName>
160c160
< <spirit:configurableElementValue spirit:referenceId="PARAM_VALUE.Component_Name">csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0_0</spirit:configurableElementValue>
---
> <spirit:configurableElementValue spirit:referenceId="PARAM_VALUE.Component_Name">csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0</spirit:configurableElementValue>

Should I delete one of them and if so, which one?

Jacques

Jacques

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@jmcm 

csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0_0 and csc_csc_ccm_video_out_0

These are the names of the IP instances, keep whichever you are using in your design

and delete the other

--Suraj

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It is best if you don't delete anything from disk unless you first remove it from the design.  Right click on the one you don't want and choose Remove From Design.  Then you may delete it.  If you delete it first, you will have a ghost IP that is next to impossible to get rid of.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct about the ghost IPs.  They are the ? in the source tree that cannot be removed because the "Remove File From Project" is grayed out.

Well, I'm just going to leave it as it is....

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Well this happens because the RTL module is instantiated twice.  One instance gets the name xxxx_0 and the other one gets the name xxxx_0_0.  Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Looks like I was able to fix this issue very easily.  I just saved the project in another directory (using File -> Project -> Save As).  I noticed that vivado now complains that there are duplicate IPs between the project in the new directory and the one in the old directory (by the way, the 2 directories are side by side in the same parent directory).  So I moved the old directory in some backup location (hiding it from Vivado).  That's it.  No more critical warnings that there are duplicate IPs in the new project.  I don't understand what's going on but it seems to work (until next time, there is always a next time).

Jacques

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello Surajc,

I checked all the .xci I have for the modules that are duplicated and I found only 1 (using find . -name *module_name*.xci).

This issue happens when I package the project as an IP.  When I click on "Package IP" the critical warnings about modules being duplicated show up.

Also my custom RTL modules are the only ones that are "duplicated" (with themselves).

--Jacques

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello Suraj,

This is what I do:

- Create and Package New IP

- Package your current project

- Include .xci files

When I click on "Package IP", the duplication warnings occur.

Only my custom RTL modules are in the list of duplicated IPs (duplicated with themselves).

If ip_name is one of the duplicated IPs, I use "find . -name *ip_name*.xci" at the top of my project to get all the .xci files associted with this IP and I get only 1.

So there are no multiple .xci files.

Could you give me an explanation why this happens?

Thanks,

Jacques

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jmcm,

Thank you for the test case.

The Project in the test case has a Block design which has an RTL module reference. You are trying to add a wrapper to this BD and then package this BD as a Custom IP.

The reason this is happening in your design is because 

this is a wrong usage as per UG994, please see the following screenshot

Capture.JPG

please see the following link for more information

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf#page=216

So while packaging the overall BD as an IP tool considers the RTL module references as an IP and then creates an IP definition for it 

This IP definition of RTL module then coincides with the definition present in <project>.srcs -> component.xml which is created after the BD is packaged and saved in <project>.srcs

Thus the Critical warning

Workarounds

1. Package the RTL module as a standalone custom IP and then add it to the block design which is to be packaged as IP.

2. Save the new packaged IP (one from BD ) to another location rather than <project>.srcs so the definitions won't coincide

Regards

Suraj C 

View solution in original post

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Suraj,

I tried Workaround #2 (which seems to be the simplest) but the critical warning message about duplicated IP is still there.

In fact there is a second one about the component.xml file cannot be found (because I moved it to another location).  I got rid of this critical warning by editing the <project>.xpr file and removing the line pointing to component.xml (including the one before it and the one below it).

Regards,

Jacques

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Suraj,

Your workaround is working for me.  I'm closing this post.

Thanks,

Jacques

0 Kudos