UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer particle
Observer

DCM Instantiation Causes XST Crash

Hello, folks.  I'm experiencing an issue where if I instantiate a DCM on a Spartan 6 LX9 device, XST will terminate unexpectedly.  If I remove the DCM, everything goes back to normal and works fine.  This happens if I use the clocking wizard or also if I craft the DCM instance by hand.  I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light.  I tried this on two different machines in case one had a bad install of ISE 13.1, but they behave the same way.

The precise error:

INTERNAL_ERROR:Xst:cmain.c:3330:1.14 - Process will terminate. For technical support on this issue, please open a WebCase with this project attached at http://www.xilinx.com/support.

Process "Synthesize - XST" failed

Thank you for your time.

6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: DCM Instantiation Causes XST Crash

It sounds like XST 13.1 is not quite ready for prime time...

Do you have an installation of ISE 12.4 or earlier that you can build the

project on?  It's possible that there is an error in the way you're hooking

up the DCM, but XST should give an error message rather than just

crashing.  Perhaps another ISE version would shed some light on

the problem.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Observer particle
Observer

I was hoping to avoid that, but alas you're probably right--that is likely all I can do if there is no obvious solution people already know about.

I've still got the installers for 12.1 through 12.4, so I'll reinstall 12.4 and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Observer particle
Observer

It looks like everything is A-ok in 12.4.  How could Xilinx miss something so important?  Surely QA would have checked to see if people would be able to use DCMs and PLLs without XST outright crashing.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

You might want to open a webcase, so that your design and background info can be logged for the SW team, for testing the next SW release.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Observer particle
Observer

Is there any way to approach this without being a company?  Xilinx denied my application for the support system on the grounds that I'm not a business.  *shrug*  I guess only businesses are able to uncover huge, gaping bugs.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Offline the OP shared the source and identified the root cause of the INTERNAL_ERROR (aka crash).  XST is failing due to the CLKFB input of the DCM tied to a logic 0.  Eliminating this by connecting it to the CLK0 output allowed XST to finish synthesis.

I'm not sure if this is a valid DCM configuration in Spartan-6, but XST should at least exit with an appropriate general ERROR message if it is not valid.  I wouldn't classify this as a "huge, gaping bug" or it would have been found much earlier.  A bug report has been filed on this issue to get it fixed in a future release.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos