Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efpkopin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Defining open drain SDA signal in I2C peripheral within a custom IP

Jump to solution

I have a custom IP with an included I2C peripheral (aka 'slave') that I use as part of a larger project in a Vivado Block Diagram design.  Accordingly, there are three SDA signal ports ((input) SDA_I, (output) SDA_O and (output) SDA_T) defined in my custom IPs I2C interface.  When I package my custom IP (in the IP Packager interface), on the 'Ports and Interfaces' tab, I have been adding a 'gpio_rtl' (General purpose input output interface) and mapping the above three signals to that interface in my custom IP.  This way, I can bring this I/O signal from my custom IP to an external port of the top level design.  Then when I create an HDL Wrapper (and let Vivado manage the process), it instantiates an IOBUF for these three signals as needed.

My primary question is, if I bring these three signals out to the top level in this way, do I also have to infer SDA_O as an open drain in the I2C VHDL code (w/in my custom IP) using the line of code:

SDA_O <= 'Z' when SDA_T = '1' else '0';

Or is it redundant to include both this line of VHDL code (in the custom I2C interface) along with the IOBUF at the top level of my project?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Xilinx FPGA do not support open drain, internal or external, 

as you have done is the correct way to make an equivalent for an IO pin

Inside the FPGA , you only have uni direction signlals,

so assuming SDA_0 is your pin

in your code, when you want to "read" the pin you use

foobar <= SDA_0;

when you what to output you use

SDA_0 <= my_signal;

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

1 Reply
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Xilinx FPGA do not support open drain, internal or external, 

as you have done is the correct way to make an equivalent for an IO pin

Inside the FPGA , you only have uni direction signlals,

so assuming SDA_0 is your pin

in your code, when you want to "read" the pin you use

foobar <= SDA_0;

when you what to output you use

SDA_0 <= my_signal;

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post