UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable block in Vivado block diagram design

Jump to solution

I have several blocks in my design which I would like to disable (not delete) from the design so that my build time is faster. Is there an easy way to do this from the GUI or by editing the hdl that doesn't break the block diagram view? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Disable block in Vivado block diagram design

Jump to solution

cepope@nc.rr.com No, There is no way to do this either

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

cepope@nc.rr.com Select the BD you wish to disable and right click disable.

shortcut is  ALT + MINUS

Through TCL

Example

set_property is_enabled false [get_files design_2.bd]

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi cepope@nc.rr.com,

Use the following TCL command:

set_property is_enabled false [get_files  <project_path>/bd/design_2/design_2.bd]

In Vivado GUI. Select the block in File hierarchy and right click to Select Disable file as shown below:

Capture.PNG

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you are asking for method to disable IP within block design then there is no such option provided.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Yeah, I see that an entire .bd file can be disabled but I am trying to disable a block within a .bd file leaving the other blocks alone. According to this last answer that isn't possible? Maybe there's a way to export the block(s) I want to disable as .bd files, while keeping the heirarchy, and then disable them? Thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

cepope@nc.rr.com No, There is no way to do this either

-Pratham

Visitor dmatkin
Visitor

Jump to solution

Is there any plan to add this feature in the newer editions?

This seems like it wouldn't be a significant addition and it would help when developing large projects where the synthesis time gets to be stupidly large. Especially when certain elements have issues meeting the timing constraints. 

0 Kudos
Observer intriple2018
Observer

Jump to solution

I would very much like to see this option implemented in Vivado as well.

0 Kudos
Observer hitec100
Observer

Jump to solution

Disabling rather than deleting a block in a block diagram would be very much like temporarily commenting out a component in VHDL. In VHDL, this is done all the time -- comment this out, comment this in.

This is a feature that is long overdue in IP Integrator.

0 Kudos