UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Elaboration problem due to trying to add verilog files to existing system verilog design unit

Hi,

I use Vivado to build our ASIC RTL for design emulation / verification purposes.

Typically our designs are 500-1000 files of SystemVerilog and some verilog files

Time and again my time is wasted by the following problem.

for example :

I read the 500 SystemVerilog design rtl files into vivado . This is analysed by teh Vivado tools and a SystemVerilog design unit is created.

I attempt elaboration/synthesis to explore/debug the design and find I need to add further files

e.g. one of the .sv files has an 'include "abc.v" statement

I go and find the missing abc.v file and I read it into Vivado. I can see the file in the source list

I attempt elaboration and elaboration fails. The error message still says the file is missing

---

The reason for the above is that a design unit for systemverilog has been created , but the new file abc.v cannot be compiled into this design unit. so the design can never be compiled. How do I destroy the initial design unit and get vivado to re-read all the files again into one unit?

Regards Simon

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Elaboration problem due to trying to add verilog files to existing system verilog design unit

Hi @simonh_bwt

Can you open the .xpr file  present in the project directory in the text editor and search for abc.v file. If there is a definition of abc.v file there, then remove it and save the .xpr file. Now again open the project and add the file again. 

Let us know if it helps.

Regards

Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos