UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor vsekar
Visitor

Embedding BRAM with hex/elf contents

Jump to solution

In my previous projects I was able to embedded hex file content into the Virtex 6 device through the *.bmm file -> ngdbuild -> Implementation run provides *_bd.bmm -> data2mem tool usage in order. Now for current project I am using Virtex 7. For this we have to use Vivado which doesn't take "*.bmm" and gives "*_bd.bmm" file. Even if I manually create the "*_bd.bmm" file and use it with data2mem, the bit seems to be corrupted. Not able to program this bit file into the device.

The questions that I have are:

1) Does data2mem support programming Virtex 7 device, in particular XC7V2000T?

2) If I don't use "microblaze" processor in my design and use some other processor. Does Vivado support "embedding BRAM memory with mem/hex/elf content" in my design? I see "write_bmm, write_mem_info, updatemem tools and commands not supporting this flow".

VinothS

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Embedding BRAM with hex/elf contents

Jump to solution

Hi @vsekar,

You have to generate a .mmi file to define the address map. If it's not generated by tool you have to create the .mmi file manually.

Then you can make use of updatemem to load the elf file contents to BRAM.

Please go through https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63041.html 

It describes the complete steps. You can confirm BRAM contents using -debug option in updatemem which will generate a debug.txt file.

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @vsekar,

You have to generate a .mmi file to define the address map. If it's not generated by tool you have to create the .mmi file manually.

Then you can make use of updatemem to load the elf file contents to BRAM.

Please go through https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63041.html 

It describes the complete steps. You can confirm BRAM contents using -debug option in updatemem which will generate a debug.txt file.

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor vsekar
Visitor

Jump to solution

I was not able to find about the devices supported by data2mem in the document that you provided. But was able to follow a link from your document to 13.4_data2mem.pdf which doesn't show the support to virtex 7.

VinothS

V7_Support.jpg
0 Kudos
Visitor vsekar
Visitor

Jump to solution
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/MEM-file-in-vivado/m-p/654784/highlight/true#M37917

Tried this post's suggestion of creating a property and then using the tcl (after few modification that I needed for my design). I just had the doubt that "updatemem" will work without processor or not, which got cleared with your post. Thanks
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

This link is broken.

0 Kudos
Visitor vsekar
Visitor

Jump to solution

The link is still working for me. Probably some other login or cookies problem.

VinothS

0 Kudos
Newbie shri1527

Jump to solution

the link isn't working. pls update it

0 Kudos