UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

FIFO Generator 9.2 "synth" file causes problems in synthesis?

Hi:

Using FIFO Generator 9.2, when the IP is regenerated, it creates the following two files (for a FIFO named fifoname)

fifoname.v

fifoname_synth.v

These two files get added to the project's compile list in the XCO (not sure how - I think the fifoname_xmdf.tcl does it). The problem is, they're *both* added to the compile list, and they *both* define a module named "fifoname."

So when I try to synthesize the project, I get...

Analyzing Verilog file "C:\cygwin\home\barawn\repositories\ISE_test\par\ipcore_dir\fifoname.v" into library work
Parsing module <fifoname>.
Analyzing Verilog file "C:\cygwin\home\barawn\repositories\ISE_test\par\ipcore_dir\fifoname_synth.v" into library work
Parsing module <fifoname>.
ERROR:HDLCompiler:687 - "C:\cygwin\home\barawn\repositories\ISE_test\par\ipcore_dir\fifoname_synth.v" Line 54: Illegal redeclaration of module <fifoname>.
Verilog file C:\cygwin\home\barawn\repositories\ISE_test\par\ipcore_dir\fifoname_synth.v ignored due to errors

If you manually remove "fifoname_synth.v", it compiles and simulates fine (if you remove fifoname.v, it synthesizes fine but doesn't simulate because fifoname_synth is an empty module).

Is there some way to fix this problem (or has anyone else seen it)? I have a feeling that fifoname_synth.v is supposed to be for implementation only, and fifoname.v is supposed to be for simulation only, but it doesn't seem to be working like that. I don't think I'm doing anything weird so I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen this problem mentioned anywhere.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: FIFO Generator 9.2 "synth" file causes problems in synthesis?

There are two places where the files of an IP core subproject (.xco file) are specified to be added to a specific view (e.g. simulation of implementaion).

The first is the <core_name>_xmdf.tcl file as you've discovered.

The second is the <core_name>.xise file.

You could work around this problem by:

1) Opening the <core_name>.xise file as a project in Project Navigator and changing the view of the file(s) in question to the desired view only

2) Editing the xmdf file and comment out of change files to type ignore

3) Delete the core from the original project and add it back again.

This issue has been reported to Xilinx IP developemnt.

When available, a more comprehensive solution will be made available at: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/51200.htm.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

From the reports I've seen, the _snth file is created irroneously.  Synthesis could proceed if the _synth file was just removed from the IP_cores directory.  Note that there would be a warning stating that the file could not be found.

Alternatively, the issue may be resolved by doing the following

1 - Removing fifo core from ISE project

2 - Editing the <fifo_core_name>_xmdf.tcl file and commenting out the following lines

For VHDL flow:

utilities_xmdf::xmdfSetData $instance FileSet $fcount relative_path <fifo_core_name>_synth.vhd

utilities_xmdf::xmdfSetData $instance FileSet $fcount type vhdl

incr fcount

For Verilog flow:

utilities_xmdf::xmdfSetData $instance FileSet $fcount relative_path <fifo_core_name>_synth.v

utilities_xmdf::xmdfSetData $instance FileSet $fcount type verilog

incr fcount

3 - Adding the fifo core back into the project.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

This is also causing problems for simulation - the outputs of FIFOs are undefined (FIFO replaced by empty definition).

In the compilation window I see:

Parsing VHDL file "/home/daniel/work/OFZ_TX/ipcore_dir/FIFO_9to9_1k.vhd" into library work
Parsing VHDL file "/home/daniel/work/OFZ_TX/ipcore_dir/FIFO_9to9_1k_synth.vhd" into library work
WARNING:HDLCompiler:685 - "/home/daniel/work/OFZ_TX/ipcore_dir/FIFO_9to9_1k_synth.vhd" Line 57: Overwriting existing primary unit fifo_9to9_1k

Deleting the FIFO..._synth.vhd file fixes the problem.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Observer retni
Observer

seems we met the same problem, and i have post it also:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Entry/ISE14-2-when-i-instantiate-the-fifo-ipcore-with-xco-file-there/td-p/259770

my solution is to remove the .xco file, and add the .v file and the .ngc file to the project, and it can be simulated and implemented.

This issue is fixed in fifo_generator_v9_3 version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newbie asin

i met the same error. 

i want to know how to update 9.2 to 9.3? i'm a freshman on ISE.

thanks very much! 

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@asin wrote:

Uhhh, download and install it?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Newbie dlitz

asin wrote:

According to this, you need to upgrade to ISE 14.3 / Vivado 2012.3 in order to get it.  Upgrading from ISE WebPACK from 14.2 to 14.3 worked for me.

Good luck!

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have come to this page looking for a solution to "Illegal redeclaration of module

All the methods, though didn't solve my issue, helped me in resolving the issue.

In my case, I made a copy of a project into a different folder and started developing on the new copy. Now the ise is looking the core .v file in old path and new path. It is using absolute paths so, it finds files in both the paths and thus the error.

Fix: Just renaming the old folder worked. There could be more elegant solution that I will look for now.

Posting it so that someone who falls in my case could get benifited.

Cheers,

Praveen.

http://praveenkumar.co.in

0 Kudos