UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie abo_abed

FIR_Compiler_v7.2

I'm working in a real-time project, I want to use FIR filter formy analog input, the thing is that the FIR filter takes 16-bits data in and gives 32-bits out, but I want the filter to give an analog out to the ADC board I have. Is there a way for an FIR filter to take a single channel analog input and filter it out without the digital conversion? also what if I want to do the conversion first ? would it work ? and how would I deal with microBlaze to let it take the input and pass it through the FIR filter and then display the output? 

Thanks in advance

Note: the ADC board I have is PmodAD1 from Digilent. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Re: FIR_Compiler_v7.2

@abo_abed,

An ADC board will take an analog input and provide you with a digital output.

FPGAs do not operate on analog signals, they operate on digital signals.  The FIR filter needs a digital input therefore.  You can provide this from the ADC board with a little bit of work.

The result will be digital.  Depending upon your design needs, that may either be good enough or you may need to convert to analog via a DAC of some type.

Dan

0 Kudos
Newbie abo_abed

@dgisselq

Thanks a lot for ur help, I understand now mostly what I'm going to do. However, I'm struggling with taking the information of the time of the signal, so suppose I used the internal DAC of the FPGA to take the analog signal after filtering would I be able to process that signal on the FPGA  ? And for the ADC what do u mean by little work ? 

Thanks a lot for ur help by the way I really appreciate it 

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

@abo_abed,

What do you need done with the "time of the signal"?  That can take a lot more work, as few digital signal processing solutions properly handle the absolute "time of the signal" since it's normally irrelevant..

As for the ADC, you can see here what I needed to do to get access to the output of Digilent's Pmod MIC3.  That's what I mean by a "little work".

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie abo_abed

@dgisselq 

thanks for ur effort mate.

I mean by time of signal (the time at which the signal entered the ADC board) so I can use it to determine some of the parameters in my project. 

suppose I have taken the sample by the use of Microblaze and SDK so how can I relate the output of the ADC to the input of the filter and take the signal filtered ? 

I know I asked a lot but u know I'm new to this field so please bear with me >>

0 Kudos