UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor norwood_dave
Visitor

FIR Filter

I am trying to implement a FIR filter on a Spartan 3E dev board.  I am using PMOD's for the ADC and DAC (both 12bit) and have working code for them.  So, next step is implement a FIR filter.  So far, I have tried this with both CORE Generator and System Generator.  Once I generate a bit file, the program just passes whatever comes in the ADC to the DAC (i.e. no signal degradation or anything - just straight through). 

I've simulated this with simulink and can get a FIR filter to work.  But, simulation and reality are two different things, I understand. 

On a side note, since the data coming in the ADC is between 0-3.3VDC, that corresponds to 0-4095 (12bit) in the program.  And, the data going to the DAC is the same.  I'm wondering if using 12bit unsigned data along with the filter coefficients is causing a problem.  I changed just about every option for the filter coefficients and no luck.  I also tried a basic averaging filter and get the same "straight through" response. 

Does anyone have any clues/pointers for me?  I am somewhat new to this.  Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Observer vlogaras
Observer

Re: FIR Filter

Do you use fixed point notation for you computations? What do you get in the output of the filter? Have you tried to simulate your design with Modelsim? What kind of hw is synthesized in order to support your design (Synthesis Report)?
Message Edited by vlogaras on 03-09-2010 04:57 AM
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Visitor norwood_dave
Visitor

Re: FIR Filter

As a newbie, I apologize if I say anything contradictory or just plain stupid.  Please attribute that to my ignorance.

For system generator, I understand that anything coming in is fixed point; one just sets the bit width and binary point.  I'm using the DDS Compiler to generate a sign wave, which the output is set to 8 bits and binary point set to 7.  For the FIR Compiler, I have the the coefficient bit width set to 8 and binary point set to 7.  As for the coefficients, I've imported them via fdatool, manually typed them in, and used the fir1 and firpm commands (same cutoff, order #, etc, values for all three methods).  I simulate this setup and change the output frequency of the DDS Compiler.  Every time I do this, the filter output amplitude is lower in amplitude than the incoming signal; however, the filter output amplitude never changes based on the incoming frequency.  However, in simulink (i.e. non-xilinx blocksets) this setup works.  It also works in Matlab via command line. 

I have not used Modelsim for this design, nor have I ever used Modelsim.  I'll look into that; I know I have it. 

As for the kind of hw synthesized in order to support my design ... ummm ... not sure if I understand exactly what you're asking, but I have a spartan 3e dev board and I'm generating verilog code.  I couldn't infer what you might be asking from viewing the synthesis report either.  Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

D.Norwood       

0 Kudos