UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

GMII to RMII - interfacing external ethernet phy (GEM1 through EMIO) - timing failed

Hello,

I'm trying to connect GEM1 in the PS to a Marvell Phy on my board. My design currently fails on timing on the rx side (data from the phy to PL). I have attached some screenshots, and the timing report for on of the failing paths in excel format

in my .xdc file I have added these constraints for the RX side :

create_clock -period 8.000 -name RGMII_rxc [get_ports RGMII_rxc]

set_clock_groups -logically_exclusive -group [get_clocks -include_generated_clocks {gmii_clk_25m_out gmii_clk_2_5m_out}] -group [get_clocks -include_generated_clocks gmii_clk_125m_out]

set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks RGMII_rxc] -min 1.200 [get_ports {RGMII_rd[*] RGMII_rx_ctl}]
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks RGMII_rxc] -max 1.200 [get_ports {RGMII_rd[*] RGMII_rx_ctl}]
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks RGMII_rxc] -clock_fall -min -add_delay 1.200 [get_ports {RGMII_rd[*] RGMII_rx_ctl}]
set_input_delay -clock [get_clocks RGMII_rxc] -clock_fall -max -add_delay 1.200 [get_ports {RGMII_rd[*] RGMII_rx_ctl}]

#set_output_delay -clock [get_clocks rgmii_tx_clk] -max -1.0 [get_ports {rgmii_txd[*] rgmii_tx_ctl}]
#set_output_delay -clock [get_clocks rgmii_tx_clk] -min -0.8 [get_ports {rgmii_txd[*] rgmii_tx_ctl}] -add_delay
#set_output_delay -clock [get_clocks rgmii_tx_clk] -clock_fall -max -1.0 [get_ports {rgmii_txd[*] rgmii_tx_ctl}]
#set_output_delay -clock [get_clocks rgmii_tx_clk] -clock_fall -min -0.8 [get_ports {rgmii_txd[*] rgmii_tx_ctl}]

# False path constraints to async inputs coming directly to synchronizer
set_false_path -to [get_pins -hier -filter {name =~ *idelayctrl_reset_gen/*reset_sync*/PRE }]

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# To Adjust GMII Rx Input Setup/Hold Timing -
# These IDELAY Tap values are given for illustration -
# prupease modify as per design requirements -
#-----------------------------------------------------------
set_property IDELAY_VALUE 0 [get_cells -hier -filter {name =~ *design_1_gmii_to_rgmii_0_0_core/*delay_rgmii_rx_ctl}]
set_property IDELAY_VALUE 0 [get_cells -hier -filter {name =~ *design_1_gmii_to_rgmii_0_0_core/*delay_rgmii_rxd*}]
set_property IODELAY_GROUP gpr1 [get_cells -hier -filter {name =~ *design_1_gmii_to_rgmii_0_0_core/*delay_rgmii_rx_ctl}]
set_property IODELAY_GROUP gpr1 [get_cells -hier -filter {name =~ *design_1_gmii_to_rgmii_0_0_core/*delay_rgmii_rxd*}]
set_property IODELAY_GROUP gpr1 [get_cells -hier -filter {name =~ *i_design_1_gmii_to_rgmii_0_0_idelayctrl}]

Q : can someone please explain exactly what this timing failure means?

* I can see (in the excel sheet) a source clock rgmii_rx_clk involved, and a destination IDDR clocked by clk -> is this asynchronous clock domain crossing? (inter-clock path)

* I can also see something about multicycle path -> is this because of the IDELAY2 inserted on the path?

* also the routes are all '0' -> I did run implentation, I thought this includes place & route?

Q : so what else am I missing, and should I do to get rid of the timing issues? 

Q : also how do I determine the IDELAY_VALUE correctly? I've set it to zero.

btw, setup & hold times for the rx signals is 1.2ns according to the datasheet (delayed mode of operation)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos