cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jchang_endiag
Adventurer
Adventurer

Git Repository Creation in XAPP1165 v1.0 Using Vivado Design Suite with Version Control Systems

Jump to solution

I tried going through the Git Repository Creation section of XAPP1165 v1.0 which demonstrates version control using a reference design, but I am either misunderstanding the instructions or the reference design/instructions do not seem to work.

• Pages 14-15 instruct the creation of a bare repository at c:/xapp/repository/vcs_non_project.  On page 17, when the repository is cloned to c:/xapp/working/vcs_non_project, this causes only vcs_non_project to be version controlled.  Then on page 19, the test of the shared repository requires the vcs_ip_location directory/files which is not version controlled since it at a directory level parallel to the (working) repository.
  • Page 18 instructs "Copy all subdirectories in the vcs_non_project directory to the working repository. For example: C:/xapp/working/vcs_non_project".  Copying only the vcs_non_project directory causes step 7 to fail because the vcs_ip_location directory/files are required.
  • Page 20 refers to non-project_run.tcl, but the tcl file is actually named vivado_non_project.tcl

I think the following modifications fix this example:

• Page 14 > Git Repository Create > 1. Change the directory created to c:/xapp/repository.  This means the git repository is created at the repository level which will include vcs_ip_location.
    • Page 15 Figure 12 should be updated to reflect this
  • Page 16-18 > Creating a Working Repository in Non-Project Mode
    • 1. Skip creating c:/xapp/working
    • 2. Navigate to c:/xapp instead
    • 3. Change the command to git clone c:/xapp/repository working to clone the repository to working
    • 4. Copy vcs_non_project and vcs_ip_location directories to c:/xapp/working
  • Modify vivado_non_project.tcl to uncomment line 290 and comment out line 291.  This causes the required vcs_ip_location files to be added to version control as well.
  • Page 19-20 > Testing the Shared Repository in Non-Project Mode
      • cd c/xapp
      • git clone c:/xapp/repository test
    • 2. Create a run directory c:/xapp/test/vcs_non_project/run
    • 4. vivado -mode batch -source ../script/vivado_non_project_run.tcl -notrace -tclargs -cmd run -ifn ../script/file_list.txt -top spectrum_top -part xc7k325tffg900-2

XAPP1165 is also missing the feedback link which I would have used to submit this feedback if it were present, so I'm posting this here instead.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jchang_endiag
Adventurer
Adventurer

@embedded,

Sorry, I don't have any ideas of the top of my head about how to work through those problems.  It's been a long time since I tried this and my recollection was the XAPP1165 did not really help me understand how to version control a Vivado design.  I think XAPP1165 is essentially obsolete/abandoned since there have been no updates since 2013.  I would suggest looking at newer documentation.

Regards,

Joseph

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jchang_endiag
Adventurer
Adventurer

I tried implementing design per page 20, Step 4 and found that the steps I suggested above do not source control all the vcs_ip_location files necessary for implementation.  It could be that I misinterpreted the following note on page 19:

Note: The root of the test repository must be in the same directory as the vcs_ip_location directory.

It was not clear to me what this note meant.  After implementation failed, I think it means that the vcs_ip_location directory should be copied to c:/xapp/test.  This is a little odd in the context of XAPP1165, since the vcs_ip_location directory is not source controlled, despite version control being the topic of XAPP1165 and the directory name being prefixed with an abbreviation for version control system.

Is that what that note means?  If so, perhaps it should be made clearer along the lines of page 18 step 5.  For example:

Copy all subdirectories in the vcs_ip_location directory to the test directory.  For example: C:/xapp/test/vcs_ip_location

Note: The vcs_ip_location directory should be source controlled separately (not shown in this example).

0 Kudos
embedded
Advisor
Advisor

Hi @jchang_endiag ,

Thanks for your post. I know that it's been a long time since you have posted it. However, I have similar problems in getting it to working. I bring them here. You may be able to help me.

1- In parge 16 of document, if I run  git clone c:/xapp/repository/vcs_non_project  command, I receive below warning messages:

warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
done.

2- Regarding page 17 of document, I ran vivado TCL shell to create git_non_project.bat  file. I receive some errors and warnings:

WARNING: Unsupported file extension .wcfg for ../debug/hw_ila_data_1.wcfg
WARNING: Unsupported source type misc. ../debug/hw_ila_data_1.wcfg will be version controlled.
ERROR: Source ../../vcs_ip_location/dds_compiler_0/dds_compiler_0.xci does not exist.
ERROR: Source ../../vcs_ip_location/fir_compiler_0/fir_compiler_0.xci does not exist.
ERROR: Source ../../vcs_ip_location/xfft_0/xfft_0.xci does not exist.
ERROR: Source ../../vcs_ip_location/vio_i256_o256/vio_i256_o256.xci does not exist.
ERROR: Source ../../vcs_ip_location/ila_0/ila_0.xci does not exist.
WARNING: Unsupported file extension .txt for ../script/file_list.txt
WARNING: Unsupported source type misc. ../script/file_list.txt will be version controlled.

Although, I see the created batch  file it complains that coul not find the file:

bash: git_non_project.bat: command not found

It seems that Xilinx need to update it with Vivado latest releases. And, add more related details to it.

Thanks,
Hossein
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jchang_endiag
Adventurer
Adventurer

@embedded,

Sorry, I don't have any ideas of the top of my head about how to work through those problems.  It's been a long time since I tried this and my recollection was the XAPP1165 did not really help me understand how to version control a Vivado design.  I think XAPP1165 is essentially obsolete/abandoned since there have been no updates since 2013.  I would suggest looking at newer documentation.

Regards,

Joseph

View solution in original post

0 Kudos