UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Global Compiler Directives to Select appropriate UCF files

Hello All,

I am trying to develop a easily reconfigurable design by using multiple compiler directives at every point  (Simulation, Synthesis) but now I am encountering a problem in Implementation.

The idea is as follows:

1. A global DEFINES.v file (attached) defines various global directives.

2. A second file called FPGA_UCFDefines.v (attached) looks at the DEFINES.V to see the definitions and accordingly directs the ISE tool to select appropriate .UCF file to go with design. The first line of the FPGA_UCFDefines.V calls to include the DEFINES.V file too.

Now the tool identifies the correct file and parses it but returns the following error in the .UCF file (attached), which to me is confusing because the same eact files works seamlessly if I were to add it to the design directly.

The error is as follows:

INFO:HDLCompiler:1693 - Analyzing Verilog file \"D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/Motherboard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/RTL/Global/FPGA_UCFDefines.v\" into library work
INFO:ProjectMgmt - Include file found: 'D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/MotherBoard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/RTL/Global/DEFINES.v' in file "D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/Motherboard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/RTL/Global/FPGA_UCFDefines.v" line 1
INFO:ProjectMgmt - Include file found: 'D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/Motherboard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/SYNTH_XILINX_FPGA_TOP/FPGA_V6LX240/MS1_OSPREY_SE_DUT64_LX240.ucf' in file "D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/Motherboard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/RTL/Global/FPGA_UCFDefines.v" line 5
ERROR:HDLCompiler:806 - "D:/MS1/Hardware/PrgLogic/Motherboard/OSPREY_7009/FPGA/SYNTH_XILINX_FPGA_TOP/FPGA_V6LX240/MS1_OSPREY_SE_DUT64_LX240.ucf" Line 1: Syntax error near "#".
ERROR:ProjectMgmt:497 - 1 error(s) found while parsing design hierarchy.

In the files attached:

1. The DEFINES.V has two directives `DUT_SIZE_64 & `SE.

2. FPGA_UCFDefines.v looks at the two directives in the from the DEFINES.v and tries to include a .UCF file.

Any help in understanding the error is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shax

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Global Compiler Directives to Select appropriate UCF files

You can't do what you want this way.  Anything you `include in Verilog will be interpreted as Verilog

source.  The UCF files are not used at all during synthesis, and their syntax is nothing remotely

like Verilog, so you get this error.  You can do something from the command line, using TCL for example.

-- Gabor
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks a lot GSZAKACS for the reply.

I have never used TCL in any projects and this might be my opportunity to learn.

Can you give me some pointers or an example file as to how can I implement this thing?

Thanks,

shakti

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I have to admit that I know nothing about TCL myself, but you can get a starting point from the

ISE Navigator GUI using Project --> Generate TCL script.  This gives you a script that does

the build exactly as you would get running from the GUI.  Then I'm afraid you're on your own

for figuring out how to edit this to do what you want.  If it were me, I'd probably start by just

making several copies of this script and adjusting the ucf files in the "add_source_files"

procedure for each version you expect to build.  If your options are too complex for this,

then you need to learn enough TCL to understand how to use switches to set the included

files.  If you need to use the results of the Verilog pre-processor, then instead of the `includes

you'd need your Verilog source to do some file output to generate a file with the list of the

necessary UCF files that the TCL script can then import.  Again I'm not up on TCL but I'm sure

you can find a way to do this.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks a lot Gabor.

Lets see if how far can I go with the help of this info and adding various things to it.

If I figure it out I will come and post the script here.

Shax

0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

I have written quite a few Tcl scripts, and - because everything is a string - the syntax and how to manipulate variables can be quite painful, although YMMV.

I have found the Welch / Jones / Hobbs "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" book to be helpful, but putting 'tcl scripting tutorial' into any good Internet search engine should get you something worthwhile.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks a lot for the pointer. shakti

0 Kudos