Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How add signals from RTL to Debug Core?

Hi All,

I want to add signals to Debug Core. How can I do this from RTL Code (Verilog)? Actually I want to add signals, which are declared as inputs, outputs, regs and wires. What attributes should I add in the RTL code so that these signals will be added automatically to the Debug Core?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How add signals from RTL to Debug Core?

Please refer this tutorial 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug936-vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Is there a way to mark ALL the signals in the hierarchy to be inserted into a Debug Core?

Something like following:

(* mark_debug = "true" *) <module_name> <instance_name> (... ports ...);

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@dmitry1417

Better if you use the XDC Syntax:
set_property MARK_DEBUG value [get_nets <net_name>]
Where <net_name> is a signal name.
XDC Syntax Example:
set_property MARK_DEBUG TRUE [get_nets debug_wire]

Refer page 53-54 of this link for syntax: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_3/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

When I add the (* mark_debug = "true" *) attribute to the signals in the RTL, will the debug core (*.ltx file) be created automatically?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dmitry1417,

No it won't be the case. You have to insert ILA to proceed. Use the below steps:

1. Open synthesized design
  2. Use setup debug wizard then finish the flow
  3. Save the design
  4. Run implementation. Then .ltx file will be generated.
Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.JPG
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dmitry1417,

Were the suggestions provided helpful?

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

You wrote:

Better if you use the XDC Syntax:
set_property MARK_DEBUG value [get_nets <net_name>]

Why this approach is batter than adding (* MARK_DEBUG = “TRUE” *) attribute into RTL?

As for the XDC commands, they are applied on the Netlist. But the RTL signals may be eliminated/reduced during the synthesis and will not present in the Netlist...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@dmitry1417

Like you, I prefer to insert within RTL, rather than use the XDC as Nupur suggested - precisely for the reasons you state. It's far easier to find the signals your interested in within the RTL, rather than a synthesized netlist.

I've found, however that I need to be rather explicit, or my signals names don't always come through correctly all the way to the analyzer.  Here's what I do - I create a generic ILA, usually 255 bits wide by some depth.  Then, in my RTL, assign the debug signals I'm interested in like so:

wire [255 : 0] debug_bus;
  (* mark_debug = "yes" *) wire            probe_m_axi_lite_bresp = m_axi_lite.bresp;
  (* mark_debug = "yes" *) wire            probe_m_axi_lite_bready = m_axi_lite.bready;
  (* mark_debug = "yes" *) wire            probe_m_axi_lite_bvalid = m_axi_lite.bvalid;
(* mark_debug = "yes" *) wire [ 31 : 0 ] probe_m_axi_lite_wdata = m_axi_lite.wdata;

// etc..

Then, hook up the "debug_bus" - assigning bits as needed:

assign debug_bus[       141 ] = probe_m_axi_lite_bresp;
  assign debug_bus[       140 ] = probe_m_axi_lite_bready;
  assign debug_bus[       139 ] = probe_m_axi_lite_bvalid;
  assign debug_bus[ 138 : 107 ] = probe_m_axi_lite_wdata;

//etc.

Then, attach "debug_bus" to the ILA:

ila_1_256_2048 ila( .clk( axi_lite_clk_i ), .probe0( debug_bus ) );

The LTX file can be created, within Vivado with the following command (sometime after synthesis):

write_debug_probes debug_setup.ltx

With this flow, we've been able to get reliable probes, with reliable names within the analyzer.

As to you're question on how to add "all" signals within a module.  I don't think there's a way to do this - at least within the RTL.  Are you sure you want all? - sure that's easier.  But probing all the signals within a module is likely to fill your FPGA up VERY quickly.  You're normally going to be constrained to pick your signals with a little more precision.

Regards,

Mark

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Mark,

thank you so much for this.

i do some questions though, what i do somewhat similar what is stated but i need to manually delete some signal (addr_test 4 bit enough for me from actual 16 bit or data 8 bit enough for me from 64 bit wide).

i have 2 questions :

1) will this work for the selection of bits while marking.

(* mark_debug = "true" *) wire [3:0] some_addr[3:0];

2) can we have this probes in multiple files in a hierarchy and it will detect the core 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@faizan.sayed wrote:

i do some questions though, what i do somewhat similar what is stated but i need to manually delete some signal (addr_test 4 bit enough for me from actual 16 bit or data 8 bit enough for me from 64 bit wide).

i have 2 questions :

1) will this work for the selection of bits while marking.

(* mark_debug = "true" *) wire [3:0] some_addr[3:0];

I'd like to help, but I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to do.  Is your question about using the mark_debug attribute on a two-dimensional wire?  If so, I've not tried it.  It may work, but I'd wonder what the tool would do to the signal name in the analyzer.  I'd expect some mangling of the name would occur within the LTX file (and hence the displayed name in the Analyzer)

@faizan.sayed wrote:

2) can we have this probes in multiple files in a hierarchy and it will detect the core 

For the method I posted you're specifically instantiating the ILA core.  So if you have more than once instance of your module, then yes, you'll have more than one ILA core instance as well, and the tool will do the correct thing.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos