UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor dnhkng
Visitor

How do I duplicate my custom IP?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I can't find out how to accomplish a seemingly simple task.

I have some custom IP, and I now want to make a new version with slightly different features, but be able to use both from my projects 'Design Sources'. If I open my IP and save as a copy or copy the IP folders manually and add it as a new repository, I get a 'Duplicate IP found' error. One IP take precedence over the other, and so I can't use both. 

I have solved the issue by opening the IP's files with a text editor and using find/replace to change the IP name, but that can't be the correct way of doing things. There must be a way of doing this, as its vital for version control. 

Any tips?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I duplicate my custom IP?

Jump to solution

Hello @dnhkng,

See the below forum topic in relation to "Custom IP duplication": 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Custom-IP-duplication/td-p/697703

As indicated by @anusheel, there is no switch in Vivado packager to duplicate the IPs. You can save the custom IP project to different locations and package the directories as per your requirement by using "Package a Specified Directory".

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @dnhkng

You need to manually copy the packaged IP directory contents to a new location in order to save old version. Refer the link, page 25:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1118-vivado-creating-packaging-custom-ip.pdf

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @dnhkng,

Also if using revision control, you can try to use external repository location for your custom IP as recommended, since by default the wizard might choose a location relative to the project source files. Hence by selecting a location outside the project, the custom IP is separated from project structure.

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I think that @dnhkng is referring to fact that only when you create the IP in Vivado are you able to assign a Component Name. 

IP_name.jpg

When you later edit (Re-customize) the IP, the Component Name is greyed out and you are unable to change it. 

It would be helpful if Vivado allowed us change the Component Name after editting IP - so that we could effectively copy the IP as @dnhkng wants.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @dnhkng,

See the below forum topic in relation to "Custom IP duplication": 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Custom-IP-duplication/td-p/697703

As indicated by @anusheel, there is no switch in Vivado packager to duplicate the IPs. You can save the custom IP project to different locations and package the directories as per your requirement by using "Package a Specified Directory".

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos