UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I include an include file?

I've got files with

`include "myfile.v"

I've added the file myfile.v to the project.

I can run, compile and simulate OK but:

When I edit the include file, the change is not picked up by the ISE. I've been burned by this a few times.

How do I make the ISE sense changes to the include files and recompile the design when needed?

It seems like the include files are not part of the design since they open with my default windows editor instead of the ISE editor.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: How do I include an include file?

Which version of ISE are you using?  I have not seen the issue of opening with a different editor.

When you add the include.v file to your project, does it show up in the sources view within the

project hierarchy or outside the hierarchy?  This view shows you which files ISE thinks it needs

to build the project and it only uses these files to determine that it needs an update.  The easiest

way to view files outside the project hierarchy is to click the minus sign in the box next to your top

module and see what else is still displayed.

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am/ was using 10.1.

I just downloaded 11.1 and now have different problems.

See the screen shot.

When I load double click on the define.v files, emacs (default editor) pops up.

I will post another question about 11.1. (Why is my timescale not set correctly during simulation?)

Thanks,

Pat

sampleScreen.JPG
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Based on the position of the define.v files in your screen shot, I'd say ISE does not think they

belong to the project.  For a workaround you can "Cleanup Project files" each time you edit one

of these included files.  If you were working with the command line interface you could have your

own makefile that includes these in its dependencies.  Maybe someone who runs the command

line tools could help with that approach.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos