cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How do I increase the font size in the Vivado IDE

I've installed Vivado IDE 2013.2 on an XP SP3 machine. How do I change the size of the fonts in the IDE itself?  I found the option to increase it in the source editor, but not in Project Manager and other IDE panes. On a 1920x1080 display, I need a magnifying glass to read it. 

0 Kudos
54 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: How do I increase the font size in the Vivado IDE

c,

Did you ever solve your problem?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

No, so Vivado is basically unusable for me. I'm using ISE instead for now. It seems a shame Xilinx would put so much effort into a new tool and not address something so basic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

c,

Sorry about that.  I will make sure the font issue is reported.  As you well know, a 'bug' being fixed depends on the number of complaints (seriousness).

So, anyone who also has this issue, let us know.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well. We're not all 20 year old, you know. At least honor the font settings I have set up in Linux.

The old standby trick of fiddling with the system font resolution doesn't even work. It's like Vivado is not only failing to offer font size preferences, but the program is going out of its way to prevent other avenues of font tweaking.

I feel like I'm on one of those Web sites that disable zooming on their mobile sites where the only response is "why are you doing this to me?"

As for the seriousness of bug complaints, most people probably don't see something like this as a bug, per se.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I am also on a 1920x1080 display and an option to change the size of the typeface would be very nice.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi All,

I have filed CR 761876 for thsi enhancment.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have several systems using very high resolution monitors (2880x1620) and it is impossible to see the menu in Vivado...

Using XP and W7 i have changed the system font with some result.

But in Linux (Scientific Linux 6.4) it is impossible to use...

I hope shortly appear the posibility to change the font.

Best Regards, GS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I have the "font problem" too (unfortunately older than 20). Today I tested 2014.2, but nothing changed :-(

Best regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have this issue as well, seriously. I mean, most modern IDEs allow us to change the default font size. The default font size looks too small in a 1920x1080 monitor. I really hope Vivado could allow user to change it too...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Add me to the list!!  I want to change the font size for Vivado.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I would also like to see independent font size adjustment for Vivado. Any update on CR 761876 that was previously filed?

Thanks in advance for your help (from a new user).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Add me to the list. Let's keep this thread alive!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

From someone on 3840x2160 - I heartily endorse this request!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Add me too... I have 2880 x 1620 on my 15" notebook... (I use only the notebook for working, to work at customers site, at home, etc.)

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

0 Kudos

May I ask what became of CR 761876? It's now more than 20 months since it was filed. I just gave 2015.2 a try and it still seems to lack the possibility to increase the font size for everything except the source editor - which renders it effectively unusable on my 1920x1080 notebook/workstation. Where can we see the status of above ticket? Regards, Burkhard
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello ecom@buks.ipn.de,

The CR was closed as change in font size can be controlled by OS. You need to turn them up in OS.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Increasing the font size through OS setting remains a mere hypothetical means. Since Vivado Interface is using an insensible small font, a rather extreme scaling factor (e.g. > 150 % on Windows 7 / 1920x1080 pixels) is required to counterbalance this choice - and does affect every other application and Windows itself in an adverse manner. In addition, please note that display scaling will affect everything - not just font size. Changing the scaling factor just before starting Vivado is not feasible since that requires the user to relogon (Windows 7). To be honest, I don't understand why you sacrifice Vivado usability in such general manner although a fix (allowing font size adjustment) should require only rather moderate effort. Please consider reopening abovementioned CR. Regards, Burkhad
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I fully agree with above comment.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Highlighted

With a high resoltuin screen I am not able to resize teh vivado window to cover the whole screen. Is there a way around this ? It would be really useful for the block diagrams which can get a bit large !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@syedz wrote:

Hello ecom@buks.ipn.de,

The CR was closed as change in font size can be controlled by OS. You need to turn them up in OS.

--Syed

Except that Vivado does not follow what the OS says, at least in the case of Windows 7. The only option is to have Windows rasterize the Vivado IDE, which turns it into a blurry mess. If Xilinx wants to make such a claim, then they need to make Vivado adhere to Windows' DPI settings and properly render fonts.

2015.4 still has the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

The font size in Vivado CANNOT be changed by the OS. Here's Windows 7 screen shot with MS Word, Visual Studio and Vivado menus side by side. Other parts of the IDE are similar. My monitor is 1920x1200. I pity people with 4K monitors. They appear to have hardwired some small font or are using the wrong system font.

2016-01-01_210129.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I also have the same issue - I'm using a macbook pro with a retina display and running linux. Using Vivado is really destroying my eyes.. Please fix this simple issue - you're loosing customers for nothing..

Screenshot from 2016-03-02 00:53:51.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past I have done many projects with Xilinx FPGA's, without any problems. There was a pause of a few years during which I did not design with Xilinx, but now I have bought some FPGA development boards with the intention of using Xilinx products in a new project.

All was fine until I tried to use Vivado for the first time. There is already a long time since I switched completely to UHD monitors, so the user interface of Vivado uses painfully small fonts. The only programs with which I have ever had problems on high-resolution monitors are programs written in Java, like Vivado. A very high percentage of those who write user interfaces in Java seem to be extremely incompetent and they make the claims that Java is a language good for cross-platform development to appear ridiculous, as a Java user interface never looks the same on 2 different systems.

Even 20 years ago it was unacceptable for any application intended to be used by various customers with unpredictable displays to have user interface elements with size defined in pixels. Any user interface element, eg. the fonts, must either have a size proportional with the size of the screen or it must allow resizing by the end user. Whoever does not obey these well-known rules is simply not competent to design user interfaces. Why such people are employed by Xilinx and why Xilinx refuses to correct this obvious problem that was already reported during several years, is beyond my understanding.

I certainly do not like to discover, after spending more than a thousand dollars on Xilinx development boards, that they can be dumped to garbage, because the claim made by Xilinx about the existence of a development system for them is false.

I certainly do not intend to buy some extra low-quality monitor, to be connected to my computer just to be able to run Vivado, much less to change the resolution of my monitors. to cripple other applications.

Whoever did the user interface of Vivado should have done it right from the beginning. Otherwise, it should not take more than a day of work for one programmer to add a setting in some *.ini file that should scale all the user interface fonts, and to document this extra feature properly for the end users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

syedz,

So they closed the CR claiming the font size can be changed in the OS. Please tell us exactly how!

It's unbeleivable that Xilinx refuses to fix this critical and easily fixed issue. At least it should be easily fixable. A competent programmer would not have the problem in the first place. A mediocre one would have at least defined the font sizes in a single place making it an easily fix. I'm hoping Vivado is not spaghetti code where someone hardwired fonts in pixels in a myriad of different places.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

s,

OK, so why does google report 1,180,000 results for changing font size in windows 7?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

So why does Vivado not take care of this setting?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Because,

The OS takes care of it, so we do not have to.  A hack is to try to overcome OS settings.

I have spent most of my life using CAD tools.  I am honestly baffled that you expect Xilinx to solve this non-problem.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry, blame on me, I have just realized that Vivado indeed takes care on the setting, when I change it from 100% to 200%, everything is much larger... Not sure why it didn't the last time I checked. The issue remains that some other software does not work very well when the scaling is changed, this is the reason why I have stayed at 100%. But I think it is time to give e.g. 150% a try...

0 Kudos