Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: How do I increase the font size in the Vivado IDE

Hi,

according to the release notes vivado supports Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Using my Apple retina display all fonts are unreadable. Up to

now I was not able to find a solution. Maybe you can help! Maybe Xilinx should help their users?!

Moreover you claim that this is an OS problem, but I think it is a problem of vivado too, since a good tooling is essential for Xilinx. I pray to God for a open source toolchain for all Series 7 devices, having good scripting support (not this ridiculous TCL stuff)!

At the moment there is no hope for this, but at least for some small Lattice devices we have yosys now. This story reminds me to a very early state of gcc (all professional compiler / CPU vendors were laughing about this compiler for amateurs)....

On the long term I will switch to a FPGA-family having a scriptable open-source toolchain (support any OS, e.g. Linux ARM

or MacOSX) and I will teach this to my students, because then we can fix such tiny problems by ourselfs. The unwillingness of Xilinx to help confirms me to that idea!

BTW: Sigasi supports this feature! There you can easily override the java system fonts, hence it is useful, possible and not a big deal!

Steffen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Steffen,

I spent some time drafting a response.  But it is time wasted (I deleted it before I sent it, in fact three times/tries).

Go do what you need to do to be happy, and good luck to you.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Dear Austin,

so please do your very best! I want to learn, but acting like a prima donna doesn't help anybody.

Best regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

s,

Than you for your comments.  I will treasure them always.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Changing the font size in Windows 7 is not the problem. The problem is that Vivado ignores it:

2016-01-01_210129.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

On my system (Win 8.1) it appears to work, although it still appears to be smaller than comporable text in other software. So adjustable font size would still be a big plus, but not as desperately needed as I thought for a long time...

Have you tried a reboot after changing the setting?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

BTW: Which Vivado version are you using? I am using 2015.4 - Maybe it was fixed there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I use 2015.4 and Ubuntu 14.04. Since there seems to be a way to change the font under windows I'm looking for an environment-variable or commandline-switch. I still think the requested feature make sense (e.g. for shortsight people or someone who has two displays with different resolution (dpi)).

Regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I'm probably not being clear enough. In Windows 7 I have the font size set to 125% in Windows Classic theme. All programs, except  Vivado, look just fine at this setting. If I change it to say 300%, Vivado does increase in size to a reasonable value, but now all other programs are screwed up with absurdly large fonts. The OS does not provide a viable solution.

As the images I've previously posted clearly show, the Vivado menu font is much smaller than all other programs. They are not using the proper system fonts. Same goes for all other parts of the Vivado IDE (except the text editor which they allow you to set).

The menu font is just an example, but is such a standard thing it provides a useful comparison.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Austin,

From what i can tell the vivado GUI is done in java swing, and swing does not use OS scaling settings.

vivado-gui-scaling.jpg

The picture above shows my desktop GUI is scaled by 200% or 192 DPI instead of 96 DPI since I have a 4K monitor, but vivado isn't adhering to that OS scaling.

The following link goes into explaining the issues with Java Swing Scaling:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15659044/how-to-set-the-dpi-of-java-swing-apps-on-windows-linux

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Patrick,

Please create a new thread, and post.  I am not able to notify the moderators right now.  This way your observation will get to the team.  I agree that the tools should follow the OS, and it is annoying.

There appears to be ways to get around it, but they are ackward, and certainly go against the goals of improving the quality and ease of use.

Thank you for your work regarding this issue.  Obviously most of us are not even aware of this issue (many young engineers, I suspect).

However (and I really hate this phrase), 'as we age', many of us require reading classes, and prescription computer monitor glasses.  Some cannot deal with contacts, and some cannot even deal with glasses.  Facts are facts, and as FPGA engineers get more gray, we should reward their loyalty, and make it easier on them (us, as I am in that 'club').

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Austin,

Thanks for your efforts on this matter (and so many others).

But this is something Xilinx really needs to deal with. Any chance of giving it one more shot? They ignored the GUI scaling thread you suggested as well. I'd prefer to make the choice between Xilinx and Altera based on technology and not being able to see one tool and not the other :-). The Altera SDK sucks compared to Xilinx. Please don't make me move to it. This should be a trivial matter to fix. If they don't, Vivado is literally unusable on a 4K monitor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Have Xilinx young engineers added possibility to change font size of Vivado IDE 2016.3, or is it still too hard challenge for them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yeah I'm having trouble seeing this small text in Vivado IDE as well. You guys (Xilinx) need to put a programmer on this issue for a week or so. This problem is killing my productivity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Xilinx has declared this to be a non issue that we users are just too stupid to understand how fix via "OS scaling" whatever that is. If you can figure out what "OS scaling" is such that it fixes Vivado (without screwing up every other app on your system), please let the rest of us know :-). They probably hardwired a font in hundreds of places and can't easily fix it. If they just paid attention to system fonts, as does every other app on my system at least, it would be fine, but the don't and won't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm running Ubuntu 17.04 and Vivado 2017.2 and ran into this HiDPI issue (running VirtualBox under OS X) today. After a lot of searching I finally found this:

https://superuser.com/questions/950794/per-application-window-scaling-in-xorg-for-high-dpi-display

The answer halfway down points at a tool called "run_scaled", available on github here: https://github.com/kaueraal/run_scaled

After installing required packages using

sudo apt-get install xpra

sudo apt-get install xvfb

I can now run vivado scaled to my preference by launching it like so:

run_scaled --scale=1.5 vivado

This scales vivado's UI by a factor of 1.5 without affecting any other apps or windows.

Hope this helps others as well, my eyes are certainly a lot happier now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

This is good, but it only works on Linux. How about us using Window-7?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@chen_jim can you move to Windows 10? I used Windows 7 in the past, and it was pretty good, but at this point I think Windows 10 is at least as stable as W7, the UI is at least as good (maybe better), and it has better support for modern hi-res monitors.

In W10, under Display Settings, you can set the scaling ("Change the size of text, apps, and other items") between 100% and 300% for each of your monitors (or even to 500% under Custom scaling). I set the scaling to 200 or 300% for my Surface Book screen, and 200% for my external 4K monitor, and Vivado 2016.4 and Vivado 2017.4 are both very usable at that scale.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

It's interesting that this thread, and other threads related to font size, have had thousands of views since 2013, and this thread has had 400+ views in the last month. Are people still having problems with font size or windows scaling? If so, please post a reply to this thread. Or if you see that someone has already posted about your issue, just add a "me too" reply to their post. Let's try to bring this issue to Xilinx's attention.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

There are still font size and scaling problems in DocNav and the Vivado Installer in Windows 10 with a Surface Book and an external 4K monitor, with Scale set to 200% in Display Settings.

The title is a reasonable size (about 3mm high on the Surface Book screen), but the body text is only 8 pixels high (shown here) which is pretty much unreadable without a magnifying glass. The font size can be increased to 15 pixels using the "A^" button in the right side of the screenshot, but that's still uncomfortably small and hard to read.

DocNav.PNG

This shows the Vivado 2016.4 Installer, but I think the 2017.4 Installer looks the same. Note that the lines partially overlap and overwrite each other. This doesn't make great impression on a new user trying to install Vivado for the first time!

VivadInstallerScreen.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @jankok,

Please note that Vivado 2016.4 only supports Windows 7/8, XP style font scaling.

Please check this Answer Record for more details regarding this matter: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69186.html

-          For Win7/8 the XP style scaling only works for 2016.4 and below. So it won’t work for 2017.1  and up (no scaling happens). I believer you'd need to set up your OS to do the fuzzy scaling for these releases (i.e. 2017.1 and up) until we come out with the true scaling.

-          The true (non-fuzzy) scaling I think is scheduled for Vivado 2018.1. 

This forum thread may also provide you with some additional info regarding this matter: 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Welcome-Join/Vivado-GUI-Scaling/td-p/693903

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

The problem is still there. In my case the VHDL editor font is microscopic while the other fonts are huge. Ubuntu 16.04

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Now we decide what to use Zynq 7000 or Cyclone V in all respects wins Zynq but the system administrator convinced the director to use Cyclone V. Thank God.
2K monitors at the company ...

Fany0.png

Fany0.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hallelujah! This issue seems to finally be fixed in Vivado 2018.3 on Windows 7. Select "Tools | Settings" menu and select the "Tool Settings | Display" tab. You can set a User Defined scale. It's not quite right in that I have to pick 150% to be about the same as 125%, but it works. What a relief.

Now if only we could get them to stop using faded washed out UI look that has become the fashion and close up some of the huge gaps and margins throughout the UI :-) ...

vivado_fonts.jpg

Tags (1)