UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Parameratize IP

In my project, I am using Xilinx's Divider Generator IP core. Currently, the way I am doing this is by placing the core in a block diagram by itself, wrapping the diagram and instantiating the wrapper in a verilog module. It looks like this :

• my_verilog_module
    • bd_wrapper
      • bd
        • divider_generator

Now I want to be able to use a parameter known by my_verilog_module to be able to customize the divider's parameters (specifically the divisor width, fractional width and divident width). How would I go about doing this? Using the divider IP without using a block module is acceptable as well. I am using Vivado 2016.2

Thank you in advance,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: How to Parameratize IP

you shouldn't need the intermediate stages of bd_wrapper & bd at all. Generate the IP without BD usage and instantiate it manually directly. ie click on "ip catalog" in "project manager" window on the left and select & generate your IP; you will get a veo file which shows you how to instantiate.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to use the .veo file to bypass the block diagram which was helpful. However, I am still unable to figure out how to parameratize the values for the divider. I have tried to do it like I would for a regular verilog parameter

div_gen_0#(.FRACTIONAL_WIDTH(32)) dividerUnit (
              .aclk(clk),

And I have also tried to set a generic/parameter through the project settings and use that value while customizing the Divider

Parameter Setting.png

But neither worked. I noticed that in the generated (read only) file div_gen_0 the parameters were set like so :

BEGIN
  U0 : div_gen_v5_1_10
    GENERIC MAP (
      C_XDEVICEFAMILY => "artix7",
      C_HAS_ARESETN => 0,
      C_HAS_ACLKEN => 0,
      C_LATENCY => 26,
      ALGORITHM_TYPE => 3,
      DIVISOR_WIDTH => 24,

Is there any way to replace those constants with a parameter?

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

one way would be to instantiate div_gen_v5_1_10 directly.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos