UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor auec
Visitor

How to conect AXI stream interfaces with different width in block design Vivado 2013.3

Jump to solution

Hi,

how can I connect a 32bit AXI control stream coming from a DMA engine to a 24bit configuration stream interface of a FFT core?

Is it somehow possible to access the indivitual signals of a interface vector in the block design?

regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: How to conect AXI stream interfaces with different width in block design Vivado 2013.3

Jump to solution
Try "slice" in block diagram instead of concat. It does a part select with starting point and a width as parameters ie out = in[start +: width];
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to conect AXI stream interfaces with different width in block design Vivado 2013.3

Jump to solution

Hi,

Any reason that you  can't  use AXI -FFT which is AXI stream compilant ?

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xfft/v9_0/pg109-xfft.pdf

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Visitor auec
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

The core that i am using already has axi stream ports for data in, data out and config in.

The config in port is 3 bytes wide but the control port of the DMA is 4 bytes wide. When I simply connect those graphically in the block design the design rule check fails complaining that the width doesn't match. How can I connect the 3 LSB of the DMA to the 3 bytes of the fft?

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
If you have a block design, there is an IP block called "concat" which should allow you to do bus width adjustment. GUI version of [] or {} in Verilog.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor auec
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Muzzafer,

I had a look at the concat block and apparently it is doing exaclty the opposite of what I want to achieve.
I want to connect a 32bit signal to a 24 bit signal by neglecting the MSByte of the 32bit signal. Concat
allows to concatenate multiple bits or vectors to a single wider vector. In PlanAhead I just declared the ports
external and connected them in the top HDL but when I do that in Vivado I get the following error from the DRC:

[BD 41-968] AXI interface port /M_AXIS_CNTRL is not associated to any clock port. It may not work correctly.
Please update ASSOCIATED_BUSIF parameter of a clock port to include this interface port.

I also tried to use an AXIS_subset_converter block with the slave TDATA width (bytes) set to 4 and the Master TDATA width (bytes) set to 3.
The TDATA Remap String is set to tdata[23:0].

When I try to generate the output products I get the following errors:

[Ipptcl 7-5] XIT evaluation error: File writer encountered an error: c:/Users/x/Desktop/ZED_board_projects/Vivado/fft_project/fft_project.srcs/sources_1/bd/zedboard/ip/zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0_0/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/hdl/verilog/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_axis_subset_converter_zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0.v
[IP_Flow 19-1747] Failed to deliver file 'c:/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.3/data/ip/xilinx/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/ttcl/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_axis_subset_converter_v.xit': 

ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'xit::puts_ipfile' failed due to earlier errors.
[IP_Flow 19-911] XIT detected an open writer channel for file 'c:/Users/x/Desktop/ZED_board_projects/Vivado/fft_project/fft_project.srcs/sources_1/bd/zedboard/ip/zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0_0/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/hdl/verilog/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_axis_subset_converter_zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0.v'. Please use 'close_ipfile' command to close channels before exit.
[IP_Flow 19-167] Failed to deliver one or more file(s).
[IP_Flow 19-1710] Problem delivering 'Verilog Synthesis' files for IP 'zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0'.
[IP_Flow 19-98] Generation of the IP CORE failed.
Failed to generate 'Verilog Synthesis' output product for IP 'zedboard_axis_subset_converter_0_0': 
[BD 41-1030] Generation failed for the IP Integrator block /axis_subset_converter_0

Is it really so hard to connect these two interfaces together in Vivado or am I missing something?

Your help is appreciated!
regards,
Christian

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
Try "slice" in block diagram instead of concat. It does a part select with starting point and a width as parameters ie out = in[start +: width];
0 Kudos
Visitor auec
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you Muzaffer,

that works!

regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Visitor wifi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear all,

I'm really interested to understand the solution. I don't understand about the 'slice'. What I found from my TDATA Remap String's axis_subset_converter is 8'b00000000,tdata[23:16],tdata[7:0],tdata[15:8]. How to make them into slices as suggested by you?

Thanks a lot for your help. Really appreaciate it.

Best Regards

Wira

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

8'b00000000,tdata[23:16],tdata[7:0],tdata[15:8] can be implemented as following. xslice_0 is also shown.

slice-concat.pngslice.png

0 Kudos
Visitor wifi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi muzaffer,

Thanks for your reply, I've tried that but still get the errors as shown below, could you please help? I attach the modified bd and its print screen for your reference.  Thanks a lot!

Wira

ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-911] XIT detected an open writer channel for file 'd:/Zedboard/zc702-zvik-camera/hardware/vivado/project/zvik_camera_2014.1.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_axis_subset_converter_1_0/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/hdl/verilog/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_axis_subset_converter_design_1_axis_subset_converter_1_0.v'. Please use 'close_ipfile' command to close channels before exit.

axis_subset_converter_error.jpg
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

this is a completely independent error. I think your problem is that your path is too long. Move your project to someplace higher in the folder hierarchy and make your project name shorter.

0 Kudos
Visitor wifi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Muzaffer,

Thanks a lot!  Your advice is really helpful! Now, I've got an error while generating the bitstream as shown below. Thanks in advance for your advice.

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains a core for which bitstream generation is not supported: design_1_i/v_cresample_1 (v_cresample Version 4)

Best Regards

Wira

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Wira,

Please donot post different queries on same thread.

I have created a new thread for your problem, please check this link http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Re-How-to-conect-AXI-stream-interfaces-with-different-width-in/m-p/550121 and you can follow-up there.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos