UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ragooman
Visitor

How to create a Hierarchical design using a schematic

I'm trying to re-learn how to create a hierarchical design using the schematic. It's been a long time since I used ISE - about 10yrs. So things are still rusty. I'm using Verilog to program this Dev.bd, a Spartan-3 Starter Board.

From what I've been reading between the different tutorials, pdf, and webpages, it seems that the ISE method is to design with a Bottom-Up approach only, is this correct ?

I had thought it was also possible to use a Top-Down approach. Where I would define the complete circuit - all the in's and out's -  that reside on my circuit card. Then as I define the internal parts of the system and interfaces, I would add each module underneath the top level as I go along.

But when I start creating the top level and adding the various ports, and connecting the wires, the wires only connect to the I/O ports and don't seem to connect to the block. I have a visual indication of a red square over the terminating end of the wire where it supposed to connect to the block. The end which connects to the I/O port is definitely connected.

As such, the 'push down' tool button is disabled on the ISE and I can't enter the next level to create the modules.

Is their still a way to build a design using a Top-Down approach ?

thanks

=Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Re: How to create a Hierarchical design using a schematic

"Is there still a way to build a design using a Top-Down approach?"

Yes - do it all in HDL...

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to create a Hierarchical design using a schematic

Top-down or bottom-up methods are both supported.

In order to push into a schematic symbol, the underlying module must have been added to the Project Navigator project.  If the module does not exist yet right click on an instsance of the symbol on a schematic page and select Symbol -> Push into symbol.  A dialog box will appear stating that ISE cannot determine the module that defines the symbol.  You will be givent the option to generate a template in SCH, VHDL or VERILOG.

See: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/16192.htm

Note: This Answer Record is a little dated in that ABEL HDL is no longer supported but, the rest of the AR appears to be correct.

0 Kudos