UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor juzl
Visitor

How to indentify if IOB Flip Flop was used after P&R (Vivado 2018, Spartan7) ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have found that non of proposed methods:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62661.html

to identify if IOB FlipFlop is in use does not work for my flow (Vivado 2018.2.1, Spartan7).

Method 1: (to see *_io_placed.rpt) is evidently obsolate since there  is no column "IOB Sequential Element"

Method 2: use ultrafast script, does not support Spartan7

I cannot find alternative, except looking into implemented device manually.

thanx
Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor juzl
Visitor

回复: How to indentify if IOB Flip Flop was used after P&R (Vivado 2018, Spartan7) ?

Jump to solution

I confirm that TCL "report_datasheet -name XXX" works.

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: How to indentify if IOB Flip Flop was used after P&R (Vivado 2018, Spartan7) ?

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

According to the AR, only the report_datasheet method should work for Vivado v2018.2.  I can confirm that it doesn’t work in v2018.3.

The Vivado menu, (Edit > Find), has a good search tool, which also shows the Tcl command corresponding to the search parameters you selected.  Below is a Tcl command that the search tool generated for me.  It seems to find all registers that I packed into the IOB.

show_objects  [get_cells -hierarchical -filter {IOB == "TRUE" && IS_LOC_FIXED == "TRUE" && PRIMITIVE_TYPE =~ FLOP_LATCH.*.*} ]

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Re: How to indentify if IOB Flip Flop was used after P&R (Vivado 2018, Spartan7) ?

Jump to solution

Thank you Mark,

script works!

However I still do not understand why is this, often essential information, not part of I/O report?

Is this gona change in near future releases?

I mean it was in reports for decades (for good reason) why not anymore?

thanx

Peter

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Peter,

Good questions. 

Hopefully the people from Xilinx who monitor the Forum will notice this problem and submit a change request.

You can help by going to the AR that you mentioned and responding with "NO" to "Was this Answer Record helpful?" - and type into the response box that the report_datasheet method is not working in Vivado v2018.2.  I just did this too.

Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yep, I did it even prior this forum entry, however I have feeling that Xilinx make 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just wondering what is the cause.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Re why Xilix obscue this,

cause they run only by TCL,  and are aiming at th ebig projects, goign to ASIC , where IOB is not a question.

Used to be reported in th eclear, but now days ,

if in doubt,  the answer to any questoin is

a) run an IBIS model

or

b) run a TCL command

sorry,

not much chance of xilxin listening to any change,

hay its hard enough to the the regsister to be forced into an IOB,

which used to be so easy,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: How to indentify if IOB Flip Flop was used after P&R (Vivado 2018, Spartan7) ?

Jump to solution

The method described in section "In Vivado versions starting from 2015.3:" in the AR should work.

i.e. run "report_datasheet -name xxx" in GUI to generate a datasheet report that contains the IO Reg Type column.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Jump to solution

I confirm that TCL "report_datasheet -name XXX" works.

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@graces 

In Vivado V2018.3, whether I run "report_datasheet -name xxx" from GUI (Reports > Timing > Report Datasheet) or from Tcl Console, the "(IOB)" marker is not appearing in the report (when it should).  Also not working for me is the AR62661 suggestion "generating the report_timing_summary report with the "Report Datasheet" option checked."
datasheet2.jpg

In the above screenshot of the datasheet report, the properties box for register, DGOUT_J19_reg[0], shows it to be fixed in the IOB but the marker, "(IOB)", is missing from datasheet report.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

markg@prosensing.com 

I think the value 'FDRE(IO)' signifies an SDR FF placed into IOB. Otherwise it would be 'FDRE'.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@graces 

For Vivado V2018.3, I does appear that report_datasheet tagging is now "(IO)" instead of "(IOB)" as described in AR#62661.  I hope that Xilinx will update AR#62661 with this information.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos