UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

How to use <spirit:componentGenerators> with Vivado?

Hi,

I'm trying to use <spirit:componentGenerators> with Vivado, but aren't very successful at it. Unfortunately I don't have any other IP-XACT DE nor any existing core that uses it as reference. This makes it rather hard to get started..

As a simple test I've added the following to the component.xml of a very simple core that I already had:

<spirit:componentGenerators>
                <spirit:componentGenerator>
                        <spirit:name>testGenerator</spirit:name>
                        <spirit:parameters>
                                <spirit:parameter>
                                        <spirit:name>language</spirit:name>
                                        <spirit:value spirit:id="checker" spirit:resolve="user">strict</spirit:value>
                                </spirit:parameter>
                        </spirit:parameters>
                        <spirit:apiType>TGI</spirit:apiType>
                        <spirit:generatorExe>/tmp/testGenerator</spirit:generatorExe>
                </spirit:componentGenerator>
        </spirit:componentGenerators>

(Which basically is the example code from the IEEE IP-XACT standard.) This broke the core, but /tmp/testGenerator is never called (checked using strace and by adding code to /tmp/testGenerator that would create another file in /tmp if it where executed).

I get the following error in response to "create_ip":

WARNING: [Vivado 12-1783] Unsupported target specified: 'instantiation_template'. Supported targets for this IP are: 'all' 'synthesis' 'simulation'. File: 'generator_0.xci'. 
ERROR: [Vivado 12-1773] No legal targets specified.  Supported targets for this IP are: all synthesis simulation. File: 'generator_0.xci'.
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'generate_target' failed due to earlier errors.

But "update_ip_catalog -rebuild" runs fine, so the XML is valid and if I remove the <spirit:componentGenerators> element then create_ip works just fine.

So I guess my questions are:

• Is <spirit:componentGenerators> supported by Vivado?
  • Is there any example core that demonstrates how to use it?
  • None of the Xilinx IPs that come with Vivado are using componentGenerators. Instead it seems they are using TCL scripts that are directly executed by Vivado as part of "create_ip" (and/or "generate_target"). Is there a documentation somewhere on how to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I'm still on Vivado 2014.1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How to use <spirit:componentGenerators> with Vivado?

Hi,

Have you received an answer to your problem? I'm quite curious about any attempt to introduce some standardized IP-XACT features into the files processed by Vivado.

Best Regards,

Eric DELAGE

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eric,

unfortunately I have not received an answer so far.. I still have on my todo list to further look into this. I will post an update here if I should find something interesting.

regards,

- clifford

0 Kudos
Visitor luaraneda
Visitor

UP!

Any advance on this? is it planned in the road-map at least?

TGI integration It will be great for would be great for standardization

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi luaraneda,

unfortunately I have never recieved any response from Xilinx regarding this issue. My experience so far with this forum: Unless you ask super dumb questions you cannot expect any support from here. Often the "answers" are totally unrelated to the question and in general it is impossible to get any support regarding questions that are not also well covered by the documentation... I guess that helps when you don't know where in the documentation to look, but I would expect a bit more...

Sorry, Xilinx: I really love your products, but your support sucks big time!

0 Kudos