UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

I need to use RAM

Jump to solution

Hello ,

Kindly, 

could you check my design ? I want to know am I right or wrong ?

could you tell me any suggestions in case I am wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

RAM_in_RAM_out.JPG
photo_2019-01-07_20-58-56.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: I need to use RAM

Jump to solution

Actually, for a pmod that seems like a better choice: https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/iomodule.html

It looks okay to me, but you can double check the diagram in the PG: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/iomodule/v3_1/pg111-iomodule.pdf Figure 1-2

6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi ahmed_alfadhel,

I suppose it depends what you are trying to do. It looks like the data out will go to some downstream device or port. But it looks like you took the instruction and data memory controllers, and just cut the outputs.

If you use the block designer, drop a μBlaze core in, and run connection automation. You can see that the data and instruction memory controllers share the same block ram. Just one is port A the other is port B. It sort of looks like you did something similar.

A better way might be to drop in an axi_bram_controller, and your own block ram generator block. Which would allow your μBlaze to write directly into a BRAM you want to use without it messing with the μBlaze's memory.

Another option that I personally like more is to add a axi_gpio controller. You can then write whatever values you want to the device on the axi_bus, and it will be output on some standard pins with whatever width you want.

If the goal is to talk to a PMOD downstream, that should better match-up with how the interface should look. And be able to be better managed by a μBlaze.

I don't know how your entire design is setup, so it might still all work, but I think it seems worrisome just from the snippet I can see.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much @evant_nq for your helpful reply,

I checked out  if there is an IP under the name of : axi_gpio controller , as you mentioned , but there is no IP like this I found .

Looking forward your reply.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

From within the Block Design click ctrl+i and search GPIO:

gpio.PNG

That's the primitive. Add it in, and connect it to the AXI bus. You will need to assign it an address in the address Editor so you know where to talk to it.

If you customize it, you can set the width to match your pmod. You can also make it output or input only so you don't have wasted ports.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello @evant_nq,

Kindly, see the attached picture.

I want to know : does it possible to use IOMODULE IP instead of AXI GPIO , for the attached design ?

In fact, I am trying to multiptly two sinewave signals then out the resultant using DAC module (PmodDA3).

Thanks in advance.

IO_model.JPG
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

here is another view for the attached design above.

view2.JPG
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Actually, for a pmod that seems like a better choice: https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/iomodule.html

It looks okay to me, but you can double check the diagram in the PG: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/iomodule/v3_1/pg111-iomodule.pdf Figure 1-2