UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

IP Packager - Are you kidding me?

I am just trying to re-package a custom IP after some changes. Unfortunately for this specific IP, we don't have a packaging TCL script so I tried using the IP-Packager GUI... I finally managed to re-package my IP but I have my doubts about this crappy piece of software.

1. If Press "Ports and Interfaces > Merge changes from Ports and Interface Wizards" while some file paths in "File groups" are not correct, Vivado crashes fatally and without any exception message.
--> If files are missing, I expect an error message and not just a silent disappearance of the whole Vivado environment.

2. Okay, so I fixed the file paths first and did "Ports and Interface > Merge changes from Ports and Interface Wizard" afterwards. This crashed on the first try but on the second one it worked. Does not look like stable sotware, but hey, it worked... 
The only thing I don't understand: All files outside the IP-Directory we are referencing using relative paths are removed from File Groups. 
--> Why? I don't see why "File Groups" are even touched if I only update ports according to the VHDL code...

3. Okay, so I added the missing file back again. By accident I created a new file group instead of a file, so I wanted to delete this empty file-group I don't use. And guess what... Again Vivado crashed and disappeared without any message. 
--> Obviously deleting empty file groups does not work

As written, after some try-and-error I could get my IP packaged. But why is this GUI so buggy? I mean, we are living in 2018 and exception handling was invented some years ago to handle expected and unexpected exceptions in Software gracefully... Why not in Vivado?

I could accept the bad quality in the first years of Vivado, it's a complex tool so some problems are expected. But I would expect the quality of this tool to increase. Unfortunately I feel the inverse...

Dear Xilinx... really, software quality is an issue... REALLY! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: IP Packager - Are you kidding me?

Hi @obruendl_psi,

Sorry you're having issues with the IP Packager in Vivado.

Could you tell me what version of Vivado you are using and if you've referenced any user guides?

Generally crashes produce log files like hs_err_pid#####.log, could you attach one that's generated? It'll be in the directly where Vivado was launched, if it was launches on Windows from the Start Menu, it'll be in the %APPDATA%/Xilinx/Vivado

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Steve,

Attached you can find the .log files and additionally the .dmp files because the log-files do not contain any information.

I appreciate that you request the log-files to fix the problem in the tool.

However, I would even more appreciate it if Xilinx could fix the problems in their development process for Vivado. We experience similar issues quite often with Vivado in general. For me this does not look like the process in place produces acceptable software quality. 

Best Regards,

Oliver

BTW: Your forum does not accept uploading *.dmp files produced by Vivado on crashes... I guess it would make sense to enable all file-types produced by Vivado.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the logs. This is quite helpful. To make sure I can reproduce it could you tell me what version of Vivado you're using, and provide the vivado.log and vivado.jou files. Once I'm able to reproduce I can send the issue to engineering to begin fixing it for the next release.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Attached you can find the files you requested.

I am currently using 2018.1

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Is there any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay.

#3 about deleting the empty file group was fixed in 2018.2.

As for the crash you saw, I could not reproduce effectively due to not knowing exactly how your project is setup. From what I am guessing, all files are remote to the project as well as any sub-IP you may have. If the paths to these files are correct, then there may be an issue about read/write permissions to a repository and where the IP will be generated.

From what I am seeing in the decrypted log, Creation of a subcore is failing, so it seems like something is not right from the input files that's causing the packager to crash. Could you provide any relevant information, or a simple design about the IP being created? This way we can add it to our regressions and get a bug filed with a higher priority.

Steve
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Steve,

I provided all the information to reproduce the issue (see #1 of my initial post):

- In IP-Packager, add some wrong paths to the "File groups" (in my case it was a path to VHDL design files)
- Change some of the VHDL files in the IP core (e.g. add a port)
- Execute ther "Merge changes from Ports and Interfaces" Wizzard

--> Crash

So what additional information do you expect? Shall I provide the VHDL file to package? 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

We are in the same boat... cannot re-package IP without a crash.

No, unfortunately they are not kidding.

0 Kudos