cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

IP component file keeps growing, not version control friendly.

I recently migrated from Vivado 2017.4 to 2018.3.

Since then I note that the "component.xml" file of my custom IPs keeps growing every time I 'touch' (modify or just open and close) my IPs.

Particularly, I see multiple lines like:

<xilinx:tag xilinx:name="ui.data.coregen.dd@XXXXXX_ARCHIVE_LOCATION"><absolute path to IP folder></xilinx:tag>

where only the number XXXXXXX changes for each line.

These lines keep been added to the file, I already counted 72 lines in one file and I can't believe all 72 are really needed. In fact, for one IP I just manually deleted all execpt the last one and the IP works ok so I think they are un-needed lefts over from some process.

The problem with this is that it bothers version control because if I just open and close an IP, with no changes made, yet new lines are added triggering the version control system to commit new changes to the file.

Also, at the end of these lines there're absolute paths instead of relative paths which, of course, becomes bothering when the IP is used in other computers. Again, the IPs work the same in all computers so it seems the paths are irrelevant.

Is anybody else seen this? why is this SVC unfriendly behaviour occuring? is there some setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Visitor
Visitor

Same problem here, look at the attached capture! I made some changes to my IP and lots of lines were added to the component.xml file.

And reading from the lines, they don't seem to have any important data, just the location of the file.

Furthermore, the location stored is absolute so this makes the file not version control friendly since different systems may store the file on different absolute paths.

1. Is there a way to disable the creation of these extra lines?

2. Is it safe to manually delete them? (I tested this and saw no problems but I'd like some official statement about it).

Screenshot from 2020-03-25 15-33-38.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

We don't generally recommend checking in the component XML.  Usually just the XCI, or the XCIX and XCI.  

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Actually, checking-in XML is very helpful: it significantly speeds up loading IP cores when opening a project in Vivado. With only XCI, it takes several minutes to get thru "registering components..." messages for complex cores like DDR4 and transceivers. Having XML in the same directory speeds up the process by a lot. 

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Checking in the XCI / XCIX does the same thing but you only need to track the XCI in this case.  

Either way, the only thing you need to track is the XCI if you choose to add the XML.

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

When "Package a specified directory" is used for packaging custom AXI IP, only the component.xml is created, along with a xgui/ip_name.tcl file for generics. We have no .XCI or .XCIX created.
0 Kudos